Arthur

My New Dust Collector

My new dust collector..So fa it's working great...

IMG_1357.jpg

IMG_1358.jpg

IMG_1359.jpg

IMG_1360.jpg

IMG_1361.JPG

IMG_1362.JPG

That's nice, been working on one and you given me an idea.

Very nice sir.

This is great. I was just talking about a dust collection system the other day...

That's probably better than what I've got set up. I've got one of the larger harbor freight dust collector systems piped up with semi-rigid aluminum pipe to vent directly outside through an old dryer hookup in the basement =P No spark arrestor anything.

dustcollect.jpg

That's probably better than what I've got set up. I've got one of the larger harbor freight dust collector systems piped up with semi-rigid aluminum pipe to vent directly outside through an old dryer hookup in the basement =P No spark arrestor anything.

dustcollect.jpg

My problem with your set up is that I live in drought country and wild fires are a real danger…I'm using a steel turbo and a steel bucket…with a little water inside , I can use this same system for both steel and wood

This is great. I was just talking about a dust collection system the other day...

Do it now before health issues like COPD catch up with you……….Easier, cheaper, and a lot less painful then medical care….Good Luck.

What is the purchase price of the separator?

Daniel

Do it now before health issues like COPD catch up with you……….Easier, cheaper, and a lot less painful then medical care….Good Luck.

I wear a full respirator most of the time when doing any work that produces swarf and dust, but it would certainly help keep my shop cleaner. Thanks!

so ... yeah... my system pictured above, which I've used a lot... well... it caught fire...

Thankfully I got it put out. 300+ for a big all metal dust collection system may seem like it's expensive... but it's a lot less expensive than new lungs, or a new house

dustcollector.jpg

hopefully I cant set things on fire with this one.

Yes- you need water and a spark arrestor. I had a bag blow up many years ago, following advice that you didn't need one so long as you had "a four foot drop" in the line. Steel dust collects in spots and forms little flammable globs that don't go out. I built a very simple spark arrestor out of a 5 gallon bucket and some flue pipe. The inlet stops about 4" from the bottom and is cut to entourage spiral air flow. The exit flue is level with the lid. I keep about 2" of water in it. The fan is 850 CFM and the bag is 1 micron. The trap also spares cleaning the bag quite a bit, as it collects quite a bit of swarf. I always wear a respirator when grinding. I have an ambient air cleaner, also about 800 CFM, with an electrostatic filter and a .3 micron bag. It's the box in the upper left. I also have a 800 CFM slatted window fan that's on when the forge is going. Lots of air movement, and the doc says my lungs sound great.

grindingarea.jpg