"Half-tan Scandinavian Leather 2-3oz

I came across some reference to leather use in Finland, Sweden, etc. which was thin and after wet became very hard or suitable for sheaths.

I can't find the thread, help. I'd yet want to by some distributors as well.

I believe there was additional names used as bio or neo, ?

Gary T

It's different than vegetable tanned. It has a core of rawhide. It's hard to find in the U.S.

I imported ten hides about 12 years ago from Norway when I was in my Scandi knife phase.

Last I got was from Mike Blue when he returned from Finland.

Ric

I bought mine from Mike Blue also, but have lost touch with him. You can find it on brisa knifemaking supplies from Finland. The last time I looked on there it was around $20/square ft, I think the shipping was horrible though. The stuff I got from Mike was called bionacha or something like that.

i've gotten this leather from mike blue as well, but as he says, its not quite the authentic half-tanned that you read about in the havard bergland books, etc.... i'm not totally sure about this, but i believe he was getting through kay vikstrom in finland. nevertheless, it is very nice stuff, i love it, and i'm terrified of inevitably running out... i have tried the proper half-tanned that brisa/thompson's sells, and it is considerably stiffer once dry, and shrinks more than anything i have ever used. i had to scrap the first finished sheath i made with it because of the shrinkage. sounds like we need to get mike blue to start a reselling distro for this stuff!

Is it really a lot of trouble getting a hold of half-tanned over there? Wow, usually it's us that has to go through what is now an expensive hassle to order stuff from the states :-)

Is there an intrest if I bring some for you guys if I come over to the states again? (for cost of leather and postage)

...And just a sidenote for those that aren't familiar with half-tanned. It has an expiration date, like most other leathers. If you buy much, store it properly. And there are big differences in quality, best is if you can find a reliable dealer, buy enough leather to get used to this particular cow and then try to get more from the same source when needed.

//DQ

Thanks to everyone for chipping in with this request. I also found some info on British Blades via Google.

I have 4/5 oz and do a lot of skivin....still pretty thick. I Would interested in buying some half-tan but could not afford but enough for 1 or 2 sheaths right now.

Gary T

• 2 weeks later...