IMPORTANT Registration rules Read more... ×
Dan Rice

My KITH knife

I have had this finished for a while, but I've been lazy with the camera.

IMG_2482_zpseqdrkmtz.jpg

IMG_2483_zpsojvdxpba.jpg

Overall it came out pretty well, although there are a few things that I wish had gone better. The first mistake happened when I was making the sheath. The careful observer will notice that it came out left-handed. I didn't notice until the day after I stitched it. And of course, it was my last piece of leather. With luck, it will end up going to a southpaw, but either way it doesn't make a huge difference in carrying the knife. It reminds me somewhat of historical seax sheaths that were worn edge up. You end up with the knife the same way in your hand when you draw it. Other than being backwards, I like the sheath. It was the first one that I made with a wooden liner, and I really like the shape it makes.

The other booboo is my sloppy-looking initials that I etched onto the blade with a battery charger. I practiced on a couple of other knives first, but this one messed up on me. I covered the blade with electrical tape and cut the letters out with a knife. When I etched it, the middle parts of the R came loose just at the end. Other than that, the blade is my best attempt at a puukko so far.

I like that one. Nice clean handle design and I am envious of your sheath. My KITH entry was also my first sheath with a wooden core, and I didn't get as much definition as you did. Nice work :)

I like that one. Nice clean handle design and I am envious of your sheath. My KITH entry was also my first sheath with a wooden core, and I didn't get as much definition as you did. Nice work :)

Thanks. I used my wooden edge slicker around all the corners and ridges of the sheath liner to get it to stand out through the leather.