Yeah, hardware store. It's furnace cement, usually made by Rutlands but there a couple other brands as well. Thin it with water a bit to get the right consistancy, then let it dry before heat treating.

I purchase this 3m fireblock sealant from Lowes. I assume it's basically like the Rutlands furnace cement. I always water it down and add my own mix of charcoal and iron oxides.

IMAG0492.jpg

Edited by Austin_Lyles

That's an idea I'd never considered. Would you be willing to do a post describing your process with it?

Around my house, I have a layer of white clay about a foot underground. I have no idea how thick that layer is. I've gone down 8 feet and never gone through it. I've tried using it before (when I had no idea what I was doing), and never got a hamon to show.

I just used Rutlands black fiberglass gasket cement and it worked really well. I am thinking as long as it can withstand high enough temps to quench at it'll do the job.

I asked for furnace cement at a place that sells firewood and wood stoves. I got a blank stare. I'll check at Lowe's next. On the plus side, the guy had a nice selection of purple heart, zebra wood, mahogany, and a few other exotic woods. Kinda pricey, but at least he's local.

Ace Hardware will have some kind of Furnace cement. That is where I got my Rutlands, which I use very watered down. It has a bad habit of swelling sometimes, which I don't like, but it works pretty well. I mixed in some steel powder last time I used it, and it didn't swell at all. Don't know if the powder had anything to do with it though...

Hi Bryan

We here in SA use a product called Gun Gum (do a google search “gun gum holts”, I do not know if you can get this stuff in your neck of the woods) you can get it locally by us at any spares store and the actual use of this product is to fix leaking exhausts!!

How we use it is to clean your blade with liquid dish washing soap wipe it dry and then with latex gloves (this stuff stick to your hands like nothing else) use also wooden craft sticks/ice cream sticks for shaping and keep the Gun Gum wet while applying to blade it dries out very quickly. When you are done you can directly do the heat treatment!!

Bowie%20clayed%20wit%20gun%20gum_zpspf4l

Martin

Edited by Martin Schutte

I may get some weird looks if I try to find it here, but I'll look. What kind of store do you find it in? And is there a brand name?

And do you have any pictures of how that blade came out after heat treating?

Here is a little paring knife I made my girlfriend. I used diluted Rutlands Black furnace cement on 1095 for this one. Probably one of the easiest things to do with a great effect.

A little high maintenance because it's high carbon but overall a nice effect.

Hamon.jpg

Hi Buck like I said you can get the stuff here at any spares place here by us(Not Toyota or Chev we got local shops called Midas spares), Brand name Holts, its got a consistency almost like window putty but made to DIY fix leaks in exhaust systems

The only pic that i do have is after it hit the oil and *PING* no more knife <_<!!

Bowie%20broken_zpshq7qowgy.jpg

Martin, I would have shrieked like a banshee if that happened to me, probably followed by a long string of words not permitted on the forum. But thanks for the info. I have some time to go cement hunting after work today.