IMPORTANT Registration rules Read more... ×
Dion

Finnish-ed

Finished Finnish puukko, ok, so it probably has a bit of Norwegian influence ;-) wrought iron laminated onto buggy spring, spring steel, copper and birch bark. Wooden liner in a half tanned, Finnish leather sheath. If I get to a computer, I'll add some process pics.IMG_20150726_203415.jpg

Thats a nice little knife

That is absolutely perfect!

-G

That came out great! I enjoyed seeing the WIP pictures elsewhere too, hope you can get them up here. I really like what you did with the sheath hanger on the back. Actually, the entire sheath and blade. I would love to get yours in the exchange!

Hey.... :blink: I thought you wanted the one I made John!

All kidding aside... I really like this one also! I haven't seen a bad puuko yet in this KITH!

-Gabriel

Hey.... :blink: I thought you wanted the one I made John!

All kidding aside... I really like this one also! I haven't seen a bad puuko yet in this KITH!

-Gabriel

;)

I'll just have to take them all!

Here is the blade after the initial filing, after I etched it I found myself chasing a pre existing flaw in the wrought iron. I ended up shortening the blade down to just a hair over 3 inches and still left a little of the wrought iron flaw. I think in a way it's kind of cool that there is a pit that shows wrought iron that's been trapped for over 100 years.IMG_20150423_221137.jpg

This is the knife with all the little birch bark squares cut. I alternate the direction of them and made the hole in them with a small chisel. I cut them and stacked them to make sure I had the right amount to make the handle the proper length.IMG_20150718_214400.jpg

And here is the knife, shaped and sanded.IMG_20150721_191749.jpg

The first picture is first two pieces of the liner, I traced the blade on to some thin wood and cut out the space for the blade. I then glued it to a second piece and after it dried I cut this out. The second picture is after the third piece of wood is glued on and it was cut and sanded to shape

IMG_20150724_184410.jpg

IMG_20150724_200157.jpg

The last two pictures are the sheath after wet forming and stitching. The first one shows the knife wrapped in plastic wrap to protect it from moisture. The second one shows the hanger that Randal Graham showed me, it's quite handy, no stitching or metal rings or anything. This was the first time I've used it and I will be using it again. And this brings us back to the top of the post and the finished knife. Thanks for looking.

IMG_20150725_192845.jpg

IMG_20150725_193504.jpg