Sign in to follow this  
Richard Furrer

Hotest Stainless steels these days?

So......What are the stainless steels of choice these days for knives?

Ric

If I gotta choose one it would be 440 old and reliable...

im playing with 154cm but i think the crowd is going a bit more pricy these days

Some of the hottest stainless would seem to be very hard to sharpen from what ive read on bladeforums, one maker said he was getting lots of blades back for sharpening because the owners couldn't do it, I guess you might expect this from any high hardness steel.

I have used and enjoyed vg-10, I use a cheap patternwelded pairing knife with a vg-10 core and being so thin and cheap I'm surprised that I can deburr metals with it, I also skinned a rooster with a guy who had a little spiderco with vg-10 and he liked it a lot. I had a dagger so I wasnt much help... being but a peasant, my modern rendition of the bauernwehr was too thick and pointy.

Elmax is the hottest thing over here at the moment.

Vanadis10 is getting some attention as well, but that is much less rust resistant.

//DQ

Not technically stainless but cpm-3V, cpm-110-125, M390,Elmax etc..Many of these require extreme heat treat regimens though..So of the more common like cpm-35v are easer to heat treat and a lot cheaper. Lots of knife collectors are always looking for the next super steel.

I have several of Butch Harner's kitchen knives in Carpenter's CTS-XHP and I am very happy with them. Excellent edge retention and fairly easy to sharpen on a belt grinder. -Doug

A little late to answer, but I'd like to add AEB-L to the list. It's getting a lot of attention as a stainless with edge stability comparable to carbon steels,great for kitchen knives. A pretty simple alloy without a bunch of wear resistant vanadium carbides. I use it and like it a lot. And for once, a trendy stainless that doesn't break the bank...

Salem, I was looking at AEB-L the other day. Looks to be a pretty solid stainless by itself. I was specifically looking into it for stainless Damascus. Along with 304, it looks to be a pretty solid combo. I think a fellow by the name of Devin Thomas uses those two steels for his work.