I got it running today! It took me a good week just to get the blower working adequately.

So here is the big question....

What do I do with it?

I mean I have the general idea... but any pointers, tips, or suggestions on how to start?

and here is a pic.

IMG_20150731_162908937_HDR_zpsrx4jdk2n.j

-Gabriel

Hi, you made my day.

I "have" to built one as well and have been reading others recipe on ingredients.

I do have fireclay, bentonite clay, sand and un-decomposed grass clippings I thought to try in the mix.

I have plenty of blower apparatus (s) and given that I use one as yours, what sort of tweaking did you have to do on this blower? I mean throttle down / up etc. (Only aksing to save me some time to appease wifey wishes which seem to be never ending and designed to thwart my forging complusion).

Gary T

I had some design considerations to deal with first.

I had to make it portable and modular. So I made the furnace with an old stock pot I had. I first drilled the screws in about 1 every 3 inches. I had some refractory cement and cast that in there. Then build up the walls with some refractory mortar. I am lucky 'cuz I don't live far from a kiln making business. I bought the cement and when I told him about what I do he gave me some left over mortar to experiment with hamons, but there was so much I would be able to do two hundred blades before I would use it all so I just used some for this!

I had the motor sitting around collecting rust, so I thought I would put it to use. It is just a 1HP motor I got a couple of years ago for making my own 2x72 grinder. Needless to say I got impatient with making one so I just bought one on eBay instead.

I also found the blower on eBay and had to make some adjustment for it to work proper with the motor. If there is one piece of advice is make sure your belt is slack and have a tension wheel to take up the slack.

I have no way to control the air blast at the moment but I think I am just going to make a damper for that.

I am thinking of starting with some old cut nails I have laying around, and see how they come out. Gonna try carburizing them (if that's the right term) and make some blade steel with 'em.

-Gabriel

Hope I answered some of your questions Gary! I always found the best way to get things done is just do it till it gets done and works right. If you fail, it's just a chance to learn, and it's not like this is working with things that go BOOM! so you always have a second chance to get it right! ;)

I've almost tried the stock pot once before, but opted for a large popcorn tin. Held up quite well and I can still use it, although I converted it to a forge for a while. I make all my own tools and as a result many times, I am left with only a one time use filling the need for the momen. I need to improve on this and think things through better.

Thanks for these details I do appreciate your time!

Gary T