nprovos

Wolf's Tooth Spear - WIP

I heat treated my latest Wolf's Tooth spear experiment today. Here is a shot right after quenching:

spear-wolf-small.jpg

It's high-carbon steel on the outside, refined wrought iron, twisted 1095/15n20, refined wrought iron in the middle. The socket is also wrought iron - you can't see it on this picture.

That pattern looks awesome! Are you going to make a video of this as well?

Here are some more cell phone pictures:

image19.jpg

image20.jpg

image21.jpg

image22.jpg

image23.jpg

image24.jpg

There are lots of problems with this, e.g. many welding flaws. But the overall flow and profile is not correct either. However, as an experiment, it was an ok learning experience.

Looks great from here! I know what you mean about the flow at the socket, I have trouble with that as well. Lack of practice, I call it.

In case you really want to take a look at the teeth, I put up the high-resolution photos: https://goo.gl/photos/9YVsQx2CxitRBQnG9

I still have not quite figured out the process for making them.

A quick video showing the spear and other Wolf's Tooth patterns:

That's my favorite video you've made so far, Niels! I love those wolf tooth blades, the dagger was so cool with those cast fittings, I can't wait to see a grip on it!

Here is another experiment; the teeth are all forged; cleaned up with a wire brush on an angle grinder before forge welding.

teeth.jpga

Looks great!

Now there's some proper lookin' wolfsteeth, nice flat on one side pointy on the other historic looking results ! (check out some of the new wolfstooths spearhead photos i've added to the thread in the History section, I've yet to find a single one that doesnt have that look, even if it's at very small scale.

I've been so caught up in making my first swords this last year that I havent had time to make more wolfsteeth stuff since last winter when I finally got that flat + pointy look down for the first time.

Here is another experiment; the teeth are all forged; cleaned up with a wire brush on an angle grinder before forge welding.

attachicon.gifteeth.jpga

I have been following your thread with interest. It is difficult to get a sense of the size without any reference. For the picture, I posted here I forgot to mention that the spacing is about 1/8in. I am still not happy with the process for this, so need to experiment some more. Good luck with your experiments, too, we should compare notes one of these days :)

Super cool !!!!

I don't really understand enough to comment on the various conformations of the teeth. The welds look great though, and the dedication is impressive.

In China, they had, "hose's tooth," patterns, that were almost the same. However, from the few I have seen (2 in person, several more pics) they were rounded everywhere. Like to sine waves stuck together.

I am guessing this means a pretty different method for prepping the bars.

I am seriously impressed with the effort and the outcome.

take care,

kc