Sign in to follow this  
Don Abbott

Inscription Mystery

Very interesting. One for Latin speaking cryptic crossword enthusiasts!

I looked at this one before...strange! I can't help but think it could be pure nonsense, by an illiterate (but very skilled) swordsmith copying copies of other inscriptions...? I've seen such things done on other old blades.

Edited by Orien M

I looked at this one before...strange! I can't help but think it could be pure nonsense, by an illiterate (but very skilled) swordsmith copying copies of other inscriptions...? I've seen such things done on other old blades.

The swordsmith might be illiterate, something I have a hard time believing, but whoever commissioned that piece would surely have known something was amiss. The chances that a noble wouldn't know what was being scribbled on his pig sticker are pretty slim, I'd think.

More likely, it's a secret code of some kind. Maybe the first letter of the first name of every guy in the squad. The initials of his fathers as far back as could be traced. A simple substitution cipher for the location of the Alchemist's Stone. Lots of things it could be, but without any context.... impossible to solve.

Doubtful that it's secret code, most likely it's the abbreviation of a Latin phrase, likely a bible verse or benediction.

Without knowing words chosesn we may never know what the full meaning is, but ND is short for Nostrum Dominus (our lord) the common start of many benedictions. or perhaps Nominae Dominie (in the name of the lord) [bear with my bad latin, it's been 15 years since i took it] ND could also be Nostra Dama (our lady) beseeching a blessing from the virgin mary.

But the multiple interpretations of just ND alone show how complicated it could be to decipher the whole inscription.

Would place my money on it being a christian blessing or bible verse, particularly with the crosses on each end.

Just think how much trouble we'd have today just figuring out what SPQR stands for if not for the extensive surviving accounts from rome and that time, and that's only 4 words =)

Edited by Justin Mercier

Exactly. Plus it says just that in the best guess section of the article. These are VERY common at that time, and are almost always just an abbreviation of a latin phrase from the bible. Not particularly mysterious, just hard to figure out the correct one.

"Must Warn World, About Justin Beiber"

Now that is funny :)

Or it could be Welsh :)

funny-pictures-kitten-invents-welsh-lang

No offense to the Welsh, Welsh immigrants, Welsh speakers, Tom Jones, Catherine Zeta Jones, or kittens intended.

Invented as shown above and then they took out half the vowels and added some extra Ls just for good measure. :D