Ronin Tanto

BenR.T.

Hey friends! A while back I sat down and wanted to design a new Tanto model. My previous versions have had a straighter profile with a gentler curve to the tip.

With this one I was inspired by the tanto master himself Mr. Bob Lum. I am by no means comparing my work to his, but just giving credit where it is due.

The Blade is Hand rubbed CPM 3V. It has a nice distal taper in the front 1/2" of the blade and is .290" at the guard. The balance point is right on the ricasso. It feels very quick in hand. The guard is Titanium with a multi anodized/textured finish and the spacer and menuki are hammered copper.

I made a nice little copper belt stud for the Bison front, hand stitched sheath.

(Pretty happy with these pictures too!) ;)

This one will be going with me to the Gathering in Vegas at the beginning of next month.

Any and all comments and critiques are welcome. Thanks for looking!

IMG_5095.jpg

IMG_5096.jpg

IMG_5098.jpg

IMG_5099.jpg

IMG_5097.jpg

IMG_5100.jpg

Looks like nice clean work to me. It's like a Japanese bowie knife. B)

“If you trust in yourself. . . believe in your dreams. . . and follow your star. . . you will still get beaten by the people who have spent their time working hard and learning things, the people who weren't so lazy.” ~ Terry Pratchett

Hey Ben, You should do well at the gathering what ever that is. Nice thing about your work is its original, one of a kind!

Got talked into doing the Washington Show. Wasn't planning on doing but glad I am. I just hope it isn't another long nap. Will you be there?

Edited by Raymond Richard

Raymond Richard

www.hawknknives.com

Very nice lines and overall look!
I see a guy who might want to go a bit more "artistic" but maybe doesn't quite have all the skills necessary to make that happen...IF I'm right on this, a suggestion for you; Learn to draw; if you can already, do lots more of it.

Hey Ben, You should do well at the gathering what ever that is. Nice thing about your work is its original, one of a kind!

Got talked into doing the Washington Show. Wasn't planning on doing but glad I am. I just hope it isn't another long nap. Will you be there?

It's a show in vegas put on by another forum.

Do you mean the Seattle show? Most likely I will be going back. The Kelso show, not so much.

Forged or all stock removal?

It is CPM 3V, and stock removal.

Very nice lines and overall look!

I see a guy who might want to go a bit more "artistic" but maybe doesn't quite have all the skills necessary to make that happen...IF I'm right on this, a suggestion for you; Learn to draw; if you can already, do lots more of it.

Thanks JD. I think it is the perfect fusion of art and hard use knife for me and my customers (right now anyway). I always draw up my knives on paper before I get into steel, just works better for me to have a solid starting point. It came out pretty much exactly like my concept drawing. There is always room to improve though.

I appreciate the input!

Original art in the middle.....

824D8F7E-265B-4415-9790-9BCD493CB702.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Ben - you know I like your stuff, and this is no exception.

JD's comment/compliment/challenge is fairly interesting to consider. I think many of us are in a constant struggle with wanting more artistic shapes and adornment within the limits of a high-functional knife.

good work.

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs