I'm new here. I've been making knives for a couple years now but I've always struggled getting the heat treat right. I have a forge and have read everything on this forum and others about heat treating.

Here's what's happening. I anneal the blade three times, I heat it to nonmagnetic and then quench. After I clean off the scale I see these raised areas in the steel. Almost like little bubbles. I'm very careful to not overheat the blade but I think thats what happening and I'm seeing grain growth. I'm not sure. This usually happens when I'm using 1095.

Can anyone take a look at these pictures and tell me what they think? Or is this normal and this just has to be ground off after the HT? Thanks for the help.

IMG_1939.JPG

IMG_1940.JPG

IMG_1941.JPG

This is a surface chemistry issue, not grain growth. What shows up as features on a metal surface are effects from either decarburizing, carburizing, and/or oxidizing. Generally what people see are effects from oxidizing. You will only see grain growth effects when you look at a fracture surface (i.e. when you break the blade).

I can't speak to the grain condition, but it does look like an over-heated oil quench on the surface.

It might help to be sure you're in a dark enough environment to observe the decalescence / shadows in the steel.

Magnets are not an exact science.

(I've got a couple early blades that look just like that)

What shows up as features on a metal surface are effects from either decarburizing, carburizing, and/or oxidizing.

... and this is almost always a sure sign of over-heating for these effects to be so pronounced, in my own experience (my apologies to Jerrod, I have great respect for your knowledge on these things).

My suggestions:

Quench at night, with just enough light to be able to find the quench tank...

Research blade normalizing (no need to anneal 3 times), and decalescence in steel.

I agree that it looks to have been overheated. It's always hard to say from a photo but it appears to me as if you're not getting a good austenitic conversion as well . One problem may be with using 1095 without a fast quench oil like a Park's 50. I would guess that if you go to a 1084 or 5160 that much of the problem will disappear.

Gary

... and this is almost always a sure sign of over-heating for these effects to be so pronounced, in my own experience (my apologies to Jerrod, I have great respect for your knowledge on these things).

My suggestions:

Quench at night, with just enough light to be able to find the quench tank...

Research blade normalizing (no need to anneal 3 times), and decalescence in steel.

A certain level of heat is required for these reactions to happen (this won't happen like this at room temperature, after all) and the hotter you go the faster/more pronounced it is going to be. Given the typical forge environments when people try for a heat to quench I think it is very safe to say that over heating probably occurred, and almost certainly too much oxygen for the heat you had.

Also, I feel bad for not mentioning, as others thankfully have, that decalescence is your friend. Magnets are fun and all, but they aren't as helpful as one would think or hope.

Normalize it a couple times then re-sand it and harden. You should be good to go, though you may have a bit of de-carb to get through. Assuming your blade isn't super thin that shouldn't be a problem.

Before you do that though get a chunk of the same material and play with it in (near) dark conditions, looking for decalescence and recalescence. That way you know what you are looking for.