New Vertical Sword HT Kiln from Evenheat

We are ready to invest in a setup like this. Im tired of making do with odds and ends stacked. We heat treat at least 30 swords/big daggers a week.

Can you pass me the guys contact info?

Honestly, I've been struggling with this thing. The controller seems to be a bit muddled. If you set it to a given temp it just keeps climbing to the max temp of the kiln one out of three times. Really frustrating if you're tempering.

Let me work with EvenHeat to get this squared away before you guys buy one. I'm not recommending it yet. This is a prototype, and the guys at EvenHeat are awesome and working with me. But, I get about 4-10 hours a week in the shop, so it takes a long time.

Not saying your experience won't be perfect. Just saying mine hasn't been (yet). Will report back.

Dave

Damn... I'm in the market for a kiln and this one looked GOOD.

I found it really sucks to be European as far as kilns are concerned. Not a single maker over here that I know of. You guys have Evenheat, Paragon, Olympic kilns, etc.

Edited by Lukas MG

Depending on the controller, it can have an AI feature that tries to learn and compensate for temperature flux. I also have had issues with my RTC100 controller on the kiln I was using, I have the program running with a 50 degree overshoot alarm, so it helps to shut it down if it starts to climb.

Lukas, building a kiln is not that much work, and compared to the price tag of a new kiln, you can save around $2000 or more building your own.

@Michael: I know and I appreciate your comment... but firstly, I have no idea whatsoever of electronics and would very much prefer not electrocuting myself and secondly (more importantly as I could find a friend or someone to solve that first problem, though it would be a hassle), I have this weird aversion against making tools... could have build a grinder myself too, I guess and after 2 years of playing around it might even work but I really want to spend the little amount of time I have with making swords so I spend the 2000 bucks and bought one. I intend to do the same here. Just not sure in what direction I need to throw the money.

@Sam: thanks for the tip, that indeed would be less of an issue to build but for once, I just don't think it will be as precise as an electric kiln and more importantly, you can't reliably temper in it I think. I certainly don't see how I could make such a drum precisely hold a 180-250°C temperature evenly over 2 hours or so.

Edited by Lukas MG