Introduction and Picture of Forge

Hello, I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Mike and I'm from Clinton NJ. I'm extremely interested in learning bladesmithing. I've been collecting blades for 20+ years now. I started learning how to use one when I got to that level in martial arts and I fell in love with the things. Now I want to make my own. In truth I recently realized I might be in the worst situation to start. I live in a condo so open flames are a no-no. Even if they weren't, I'm not about to burn down my home and several other peoples'. My new wife and I are buying a house with a yard but we have to figure out her work situation first. I didn't want to wait to get started but it's looking like I'll have to.

There is a working forge around the corner from me on historical property: Clinton's famous "Red Mill." Attached is a picture of it. It is one of Jersey's oldest still-functioning forges. I've seen guys hamnmering away in there. I'm going to try to contact them to see if I can meet some people.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can here and contributing where I can. Thanks fellas.

Mike

Black Smith Shop.jpg

I hope it works out for you, I have a similar background and where there's a will - there's a way....

I ould would cut an ear off to have access to a place as this shop on a daily/weekly basis!

GaryT

^ Thanks man. I stopped by the museum today (this forge is on the grounds) and got the name of one of the blacksmith's that use it. Hopefully I can just tag along during one of his outings. AND me and my new wife started looking at properties today. It seems the will did in fact lead to a way. Thanks again, Gary.

Mike

Edited by Mike_Smith