• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jan Ysselstein

In Search of Hamon, Experiments at the Forge #1

78 posts in this topic

The above bars were reworked,

Bar showing pattern ( wootz/wrought) was split down the middle and each half was widened a bit.

The crucible bits bar showing no pattern and no carbon contrast (?) was folded a few more times ( lost some material but should get 1 quench out of it). I am losing some material because I am forge welding all handles to the bars.

The plan is to finish the thread with the high carbon bloom material ..have some decent hamon and Exit...I am still working with clay as a flux and hope to will finish that as well.

Edit,

The clay/straw ash  welding process  worked  ..I was able to weld a file back on itself( after modifying the clay several times ). This is turning out to be a very interesting process and at some point I will do a bar using only this process..at this point it served more as an understanding tool. Variables are not just related to the clay.

Jan

Edited by Jan Ysselstein

I have started the refining and welding of high carbon bloomery iron and will try to do about 12 folds before shaping the remaining steel into a tanto. The welding of the first bar with straw ash as flux worked pretty well . Here is a picture of that first bar before  doing any folding. The welded bar still sparks as high carbon.

DSCN6125.jpgconsolidated bloomery iron

Edited by Jan Ysselstein

I have been processing ( consolidating ) some high carbon bloom into bar stock and need to reduce it to wafers before moving on. The bar stock folding will result in a blurry steel color , which I want to avoid. For now I will stop and build another furnace as the exterior shell is turning yellow during the welding process. Here are a couple of pics.

A bar cut and broken ( that is a slag burn on the hand ), flattened consolidated bar quenched and broken ( I am still looking for the ones that flew away)

The cut bar break was hit with a rotary wire brush.

DSCN6138.jpg

DSCN6139.jpg

Edited by Jan Ysselstein