Darrell @ warehamforge.ca

'Quenched in a Living Body' ????

the thing that is completely wrong with this pody quenching myth is the ''slave'' part.in the bodies of politicians the results would be fantastic......at least for the world :D

but it would be hell on the blade, as most politicians are only full of hot air!

-Gabriel

Guys, guys, guys... Do you know nothing of the ultimate sword?? Allow me to educate you... The perfect sword starts with meteorite steel. it must be used to make Damascus that has been folded a gazillion times. Because it is meteorite steel, and thus can fly through space, it will make your blade lighter. Then, it must be hand forged, so that the edges can be packed in properly, allowing for a superior cutting edge, and ultimate strength! It also MUST have a blood groove. without a blood groove, the sword will get stuck in the mystical vacuum of the human body, and you will never get it out. Then you have to quench the blade. Now, everyone clearly knows that quenching it in the body of a slave is utter crap.... Unless the slave is a VIRGIN! duh! Also, the sword must pierce the virgin slaves heart during the quench, or else it will not absorb the spirit of the slave... This is the first time that having a Blood groove will be necessary, or else you won't be able to get your blade out of the slave, and you will have wasted all your time, and a perfectly good virgin.... of course... Sheesh... It's like you guys have never skimmed a Wikipedia article for 5 minutes before realizing you are now an expert on the subject.... :P

• Like 1

You know James, within 6 months, someone is going to find that post with a search engine, not read the whole post, or whole thread for that matter, and link to it as proof that the whole concept is valid :P

• Like 1

LOL! I hope not! XD

Sheesh... It's like you guys have never skimmed a Wikipedia article for 5 minutes before realizing you are now an expert on the subject.... :P

That one line made my night James. Thank you for that :)

• Like 1

Guys, guys, guys... Do you know nothing of the ultimate sword?? Allow me to educate you... The perfect sword starts with meteorite steel. it must be used to make Damascus that has been folded a gazillion times. Because it is meteorite steel, and thus can fly through space, it will make your blade lighter. Then, it must be hand forged, so that the edges can be packed in properly, allowing for a superior cutting edge, and ultimate strength! It also MUST have a blood groove. without a blood groove, the sword will get stuck in the mystical vacuum of the human body, and you will never get it out. Then you have to quench the blade. Now, everyone clearly knows that quenching it in the body of a slave is utter crap.... Unless the slave is a VIRGIN! duh! Also, the sword must pierce the virgin slaves heart during the quench, or else it will not absorb the spirit of the slave... This is the first time that having a Blood groove will be necessary, or else you won't be able to get your blade out of the slave, and you will have wasted all your time, and a perfectly good virgin.... of course... Sheesh... It's like you guys have never skimmed a Wikipedia article for 5 minutes before realizing you are now an expert on the subject.... :P

By hand forged and metorite steel I assume you are refering to the time honered way of making a keris. It used metorite steel and was hand forged with bare hands! We don't need no stinkin hammer we use our thumbs and hammer fists to pound that puppy. But you knew that right? :D

Edited by mross

Legend of Lightbringer...

Darkness lay over the world and a hero, Azor Ahai, was chosen to fight against it. To fight the darkness, Azor Ahai needed to forge a hero's sword. He labored for thirty days and thirty nights until it was done. However, when he went to temper it in water, the sword broke. He was not one to give up easily, so he started over. The second time he took fifty days and fifty nights to make the sword, even better than the first. To temper it this time, he captured a lion and drove the sword into its heart, but once more the steel shattered. The third time, with a heavy heart, for he knew before hand what he must do to finish the blade, he worked for a hundred days and nights until it was finished. This time, he called for his wife, Nissa Nissa, and asked her to bare her breast. He drove his sword into her breast, her soul combining with the steel of the sword, creating Lightbringer.

From Game of Thrones...

So even in current times that " quenched in a human body " concept is being passed around. I actually read this section of the book about a week ago so it was fresh in my memory when I saw this posting.

I knew that there was a reason that I didn't like the Game of Thrones series.

Doug

The reason I don't like it, its a poor attempt to combine Tolkiens work with Days of our Lives..

You know KYBOY, now that you mention it I don't see how I could have missed that relationship. All of Tolkien's fantasy and the never ending twists and turns of a soap opera (which my mother never allowed to be played on the TV in our household).

Doug

To add, Re; Quenching in the body of a slave; I'm glad it turns out to be nonsense.

You know James, within 6 months, someone is going to find that post with a search engine, not read the whole post, or whole thread for that matter, and link to it as proof that the whole concept is valid :P

Great now the only validation for me being an expert has been unveiled :(

I was going around telling everyone i was a master blacksmith in theory -- i just cant do the practical side just yet :P

drained from the brain, down the spine, and out through one's petzl

Also explains a lot about the average male's thought process.

Also explains a lot about the average male's thought process.

It's powerful stuff.

I once had someone sitting in my office (for a job interview) point at a PW sword hanging on my wall and enthusiastically tell me that the pattern in the blade could only be made by plunging it red hot into a slave.

I wonder if his enthusiasm would endure if you had said "No, that one I plunged red hot into a HR job applicant"?

Anyway, both that and the true north thing are some extra strength stupid.

Robert Jordan's Wheel of time, the swords of the eyeless are completed by ending the life of captured humans but I'm not sure it was quenching exactly. Neither is the wiki, they only say the sacrifice "completes the blade in some way."

Edited by John Rosendahl

Just for fun, I thought I'd bring up that multiple studies and papers have been done on the effects of "Strong Magnetic Fields" in processing low alloy steels.

The results are that it does change the crystalline structure of the metal, compared to control. However, I haven't seen one that showed any proof of "beneficial" changes worth the effort. They usually just show proof of concept, and that strong fields could be used to manipulate the alloy....

Fun stuff. Makes me wonder how this applies to induction forges.

Just for fun, I thought I'd bring up that multiple studies and papers have been done on the effects of "Strong Magnetic Fields" in processing low alloy steels.

The results are that it does change the crystalline structure of the metal, compared to control. However, I haven't seen one that showed any proof of "beneficial" changes worth the effort. They usually just show proof of concept, and that strong fields could be used to manipulate the alloy....

Fun stuff. Makes me wonder how this applies to induction forges.

This prompted me to do a little digging to see what you were talking about, which is pretty neat stuff. Just thought I would point out to the group that "strong magnetic fields" means about like inside a high resolution MRI. Usually they are dealing with 5-8T. The Earth's magnetic pole, as measured at the equator, is 0.0031T. Generally speaking, the papers seam to note that the magnetic field reduces grain growth and encourages some specific unit cell orientations. Nearest application I can think of for this is growing large single crystal parts, like for jet engine turbines. Nothing anyone here is likely to be doing at home in their lifetime. But who knows, maybe when I'm ready to retire Medicare will include an at-home MRI unit to save on trips to the doctor. Not that I'd ever re-purpose anything like that. :ph34r:

I can only imagine the difficulties associated with any experimentation. I can think of more ways to throw metal from a strong field then suspend it within the field. Coil Guns and Coin Shrinkers come to mind.

Odds are home experimenters would throw a slug of hot metal. ;)

You just have to push it down against the ceramic floor of the oven. If you can generate the fields needed (generally outside the HT oven and thus fairly far from the steel), pointing it the right way becomes the easy part!

I also forgot to mention that the steel samples were not very "steel like". 0.008%C with 0.28%Si being the main alloying element isn't very practical for our home use either. ;)

Yeah, I noticed that too. When I win powerball, I'll sponsor further research!

I, too, was told the human body quench myth. Only this time it was Spanish bladesmiths and quenching it into the thigh of the slave. I can only imagine what a fine rapier blade would do during a quench like that. Not to mention the slave...