Saul Kokkinos-Kennedy

Gyuto and funayuki damascus kitchen knives

Here are two kitchen knives i just finished, a gyuto and a funayuki. Both are forged from a composite bar of 4 alternating twists with a straight laminate edge. They are both symmetrical double grind and full convex with a micro bevel. Here's a link showing some of the making process.

Critique and criticism very welcome, it will help me make the next ones better!

Gyuto and Funayuki.jpg

Damascus and touchmark.jpg

Handle.jpg

Peened tang.jpg

Gyuto

Total length: 395mm

Blade length: 250mm

Height: 46mm

Point of balance: right at choil

Weight: 230 grams

Thickness after collar: 3mm

Full distal taper

Funayuki

Total length: 280mm

Blade length: 147mm

Height: 44mm

Point of balance: Where copper collar meets wood

Weight: 195 grams

Thickness after collar: 3.4mm

Full distal taper

Thanks for looking

• Like 3

Forgot to mention the steel is 1084 and 15n20, collars and end caps are copper, spacer is red G10 and brass, and wood is Australian redgum

Wow, those have a lot of style. I would love to use those in the kitchen everyday. Bravo!

Are the collars soldered to the blade? If not, I would be a bit worried that moisture and bacteria would collect under there causing rust and other nastiness.

Funky! In a good way of course.

the copper on the end is a cap, not a solid block, right? Not that it matters except that I think it is cool. I just want to know more about how it is built. That is a really nice design. Copper is, after steel, my favorite metal to work with, and the most appealing to me (after steel). Silver is a close second, but everyone uses silver...

kc

The only criticism I can offer is to wonder if the copper sleeve thingy might interfere with the slicing capacity of the heel, say if you were slicing potatoes?

Thanks Brian, and yes the collars are silver soldered on.

Kevin, no the end cap is in fact solid, and acts to bring the point of balance up to the choil.

Dan, I haven't noticed any issues with the collar over the last few weeks of using it, but i'll bear that in mind, thanks.

What a beautiful pair of kitchen knives, they've got bags of class. Now they would look good in the kitchen.

gorgeous gorgeous blades my only issue would be how much effort are u inferring to the owner with the upkeep of the gorgeous copper!? Its not a huge deal just some lemon juice and a wash down -- only knock i could think of

Thanks Steve and Gabriel. The copper does oxidize to an extent, but it is only surface oxides, and will not go very deep at all, unlike steel. Plus i personally prefer the look of aged copper that is polished and shiny on the parts that get handled the most, and a nice deep red/brown colour in the lower parts.

These are breathtaking. I really love the shape of the handles. I've never worked with copper, but am looking forward to giving it a try. Thank you for sharing these!

Didn't notice these before, Wow both are stunning. What's more, both look very comfortable to use. Most knife makers seem to forget that chefs use a pinch grip while cutting, these knives look like they would fit the hand very nicely.

Beautiful work! The blades have that chatoyant quality I really like. Also look like the pinch area should feel right working with these. Question? How did you s. solder and etch? Did you use some sort of sealer or mask over the copper? Or did you solder after etching, something I'd be very nervous doing.