New Vice and Stand

Tim Tracey

Scored a 4 inch jaw post vice in an auction recently for $15. While I was thinking about how and where to mount it when my girlfriends dad said he had a 100lb 3/4 inch steel slab used for a basketball hoop from a long time ago I could have.

While waiting for him to call and ask for help, I get a text from my girlfriend saying he's all done with it! The plywood wheels on it make it very easy to move, especially with the vice acting as a handle and counterweight.

Not a bad deal I think!

Vice Stand.jpg

Is it solid enough for forging work without any additional support?

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

Its hard to see but at the bottom there is a plated welded to the central post. I have only used it as a regular vice and haven't done anything with a hammer yet, but I suspect that I will need to extend the post to just below the screw box to really stiffen it up. If I do that, I'll probably put a table or shelf on as well.

Great vise at a good price.

You will need to secure the top leg to a bench or weld a large pipe to your base, otherwise you will get too muchmovement if you try to sand or file. You can make a mount with a large u-bolt or use some mild steel strapping, maybe 3/8 or1/4" x 1" wide for your size. You can also make a spring for it if you do not have one. That canalso be made af mild steel, don't need much to swing the leg out.

Here is a pic of mine after clean up. Note the plate and spring, hope it helps.20140419_162123.jpg

Edited by Dennis Mitchell

Now just keep on adding to it and you can have a forging "station" that you can roll anywhere you want around your shop:

kv-1.jpg

kv1-1.jpg

kv6-1.jpg

That is a damn cool vice stand.

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

perfect timing! I am negotiating buying a new home. Offer accepted, and it has a cinder block and stucco outbuilding (320 sq feet) that will become my new shop.

I was going to post a thread today, asking for ways to mount a post vise. I needed a new setup (mine, now, is literally strapped to a post in the garage).

I am thrilled. The new home is better (much larger, and is adjacent to a very large wilderness area and reservoir). But, most importantly, IT HAS A FREAKIN' SHOP.

this is great. Let us know what you do with your post vise. If anyone else want's to share their arrangement for a post vise, that would be cool, too!

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

Karl, Dave was right. That is a damn cool stand. So I think we can all assume that I'll be blatantly plagiarizing your idea. I may add a tray for punches and chisels though.

I'll update once I get mine upgraded.

That's a cool idea thanks for sharing, I have a vise I have to mount and just the piece of I beam.