New Vice and Stand

Scored a 4 inch jaw post vice in an auction recently for $15. While I was thinking about how and where to mount it when my girlfriends dad said he had a 100lb 3/4 inch steel slab used for a basketball hoop from a long time ago I could have.

While waiting for him to call and ask for help, I get a text from my girlfriend saying he's all done with it! The plywood wheels on it make it very easy to move, especially with the vice acting as a handle and counterweight.

Not a bad deal I think!

Vice Stand.jpg

Its hard to see but at the bottom there is a plated welded to the central post. I have only used it as a regular vice and haven't done anything with a hammer yet, but I suspect that I will need to extend the post to just below the screw box to really stiffen it up. If I do that, I'll probably put a table or shelf on as well.

Great vise at a good price.

You will need to secure the top leg to a bench or weld a large pipe to your base, otherwise you will get too muchmovement if you try to sand or file. You can make a mount with a large u-bolt or use some mild steel strapping, maybe 3/8 or1/4" x 1" wide for your size. You can also make a spring for it if you do not have one. That canalso be made af mild steel, don't need much to swing the leg out.

Here is a pic of mine after clean up. Note the plate and spring, hope it helps.20140419_162123.jpg

Edited by Dennis Mitchell

perfect timing! I am negotiating buying a new home. Offer accepted, and it has a cinder block and stucco outbuilding (320 sq feet) that will become my new shop.

I was going to post a thread today, asking for ways to mount a post vise. I needed a new setup (mine, now, is literally strapped to a post in the garage).

I am thrilled. The new home is better (much larger, and is adjacent to a very large wilderness area and reservoir). But, most importantly, IT HAS A FREAKIN' SHOP.

this is great. Let us know what you do with your post vise. If anyone else want's to share their arrangement for a post vise, that would be cool, too!

Karl, Dave was right. That is a damn cool stand. So I think we can all assume that I'll be blatantly plagiarizing your idea. I may add a tray for punches and chisels though.

I'll update once I get mine upgraded.

That's a cool idea thanks for sharing, I have a vise I have to mount and just the piece of I beam.