Fast drying handle oil ???

Arthur

Funny situation….I have several knives finished for a show next month..all set except no finish on the handles..was planning on tung or Danish oil.

I just found about a show in my area this Sat. Today is Monday..I won't return home until Fri…Stupid Question..What kind of finish can I put on Fri nite and be ready for a show Sat afternoon??

Thanks for any help

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." — Mark Twain

If wood, I like a mix Tru Oil with Refined Linseed Oil, the type that painters would have used. Apply thin and work it in with clean hands. If Tru Oil can be obtained then just the Refined Linseed Oil.

Gary T

Edited by jajimi

"I Never Met A Knife I Didn't Like", (Will Rogers)

A large number of makers use tru-oil, I believe it only takes a few hours.

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook

yup tru oil , the key is to work it in good with clean fingers

let it sit for a minute only and almost wipe dry , wait a couple three hours and do it again , last coat thin layer , wipe clean to dry

as many coats as you like until happy or 1 or 2 will make a difference

to much oil and to long it will become gummy = not happy !!

Edited by BCROB

"Never Quit On Improving"

The following is NOT nearly as pleasing to the touch or eye as tru oil, but it is more suitable to something that can be done on the Friday night before a show.

Danish oil will give the color of oil finished wood, and offer decent protection and only takes a few minutes to apply. The down side is that while the color is good, there is no warmth or soul. Comparing danish oil to tru oil is like comparing polyurethane to lacquer on apiece of fine furniture.

I generally saturate the surface with the oil, and keep wiping it on so that the surface stays wet looking for 10 minutes. Then wipe dry, and you are done. You can get a little soul if you apply a dark paste wax and buff it out, but then you will have trouble with any finish you decide to apply afterwards. left without the wax, you can still follow the danish oil with tru oil or boiled linseed oil.

Fair warning: I don't use any of these finishes on knife handles, but have used all of them a lot in various wood finishing projects.

-Brian

I've got good results with Tung oil. A light coat and let it sit for 10 minutes, wipe it off, and you can repeat in about 4 hours.

I tend to build up a few layers (5-8ish) to make sure its evenly absorbed. Most of the wood I use for handles hasn't been stabilized so I'm just a tad paranoid.