These two are a bit of a step in a different direction for me.

They are wootz steel daggers in two very different profiles. The curve blade was made using steel made by Jeff Pringle. The handle is a horse head design carved in hardwood and then lacquered black. The straight blade is made with steel made by Peter Swarz-Burt. Ebony and bone handle inlaid with gold leaf.

01.jpg

03.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

09.jpg

11.jpg

10.jpg

17.jpg

16.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Both blades have "hamon" but it is more visible in Jeff's steel. The blade hardened almost through all with just what I would decribe as a spine that runs from the center of the handle to about 3-4 inches and resembles a shrunk profile of the blade itself.

Although I like the functional characteristics of the steel in terms of cutting ability and sharpness, I was not too fond of the forging process. I ruined one bar and almost a second one trying to forge these blades. Plainly wootz does not like to be over-heated and I prefer to forge as hot as possible to move the metal with ease under the hammer.

I like the steel, and I like the themes even more. very cool stuff.

kc

Does wootz shatter when hammered too hot? Also, why does it hate to move under high heat (carbides, etc.)? It is some enigmatic stuff for me, I kinda want to get my hands on some because it sounds like it has some "magical super steel" properties to it, then again it probably costs a fortune!

Thanks, guys.

Wesley, wootz crumbles when hit with a hammer if it is too hot. I will let the people who really know metallurgy explain why.

Richard, the gold is very thin. I carved a channel in the bone or the ebony then roughed up the bottom of the channel and the gold simply "grabs on" to the imperfections.