In between all of the travel I have been adn doing, I managed to get theses two comissions finished up.

The chef knife is 1095/15n20 in a ladder patter around 75 layers and forged close to shape. the handle is Mahogony with silver inlay and domed brass pins anf the triskel knot engraved on the blade. this is a very thin blade the spine at its thickest is just about 1/8" with full distel taper and I took the edge to aroud 0.002 before sharpening. damascus triskle knot.jpgdamascus triskle knot2.jpg the spear is forged from 1075/ and mild steel. the socket is brazed on as is the ring the center ridge is forge weldedspear1.jpgspear2.jpg

I like them both, also. The spear really does it for me, though. It just looks right, as spears go. The little turned bit is a great addition.

kc

for most spears I over lap a cone and weld (sometimes tig weld,sometimes forge welded depending on price point,) this one I forged from pipe. and fit to a tenon that was then hard brazed to the socket.

MP

• Like 1

right after you posted this, I watched the video in the other subforum of the Chinese weapons expo. The video is not great, but there are a lot of old weapons, and there is one spear head that looks a great deal like this one.

Of course, this could be from any of 100 different cultures. Just a good idea (or a good way to do bad things).

thanks for telling us the ways you go about doing these.

kc

That center ridge was a pain in the backside ... Took a few trys to get it right. And even then i was not able to forge as close to shape as I would normally..I did a lot more grinding on that that I would have liked ... Worked out but I think I am missing something in the forging.