• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Austin_Lyles

My life in Bastrop,TX (not knife related)

43 posts in this topic

Howdy folks. I just thought I'd share some photos I've taken over the past few years. Unfortunately I've lost a lot of my drive for photography (although blade making has taking up that time, so not a total loss :P ) due to not having any interesting subject material. I have also lost 90% of my original res pictures due to switching laptops... and then having my external hard drive wiped on accident by a family member. Anyways, I hope you guys like some of my work. Some are good, some aren't too great. I do thoroughly enjoy nature and it's been a blessing living out here on a small 25 acre plot in the middle of nowhere.

A little tree frog right after a storm.

DSC_7680.jpg

(sorta Hi-Res link http://i.imgur.com/5kiBHfp.jpg)

Hognose Snake

DSC_6356.jpg

( http://i.imgur.com/rc7jEFo.jpg)

Some species of silk moth I think.

DSC_9737.jpg

(http://i.imgur.com/hNUoSMV.jpg)

A neighboring town 10 miles out was getting hammered this night. Made for an awesome light show.

ZHTUKjx.jpg

(http://i.imgur.com/ZHTUKjx.jpg)

A layered photo of stars demonstrating the earths rotation. Taken over one hour.

7Wg6NeP.jpg

(http://i.imgur.com/7Wg6NeP.jpg)

One of three baby coons that wandered their way onto our place.

ZWEuaFu.jpg

(http://i.imgur.com/ZWEuaFu.jpg)

Chickadee

aMnjtMX.jpg

(http://i.imgur.com/aMnjtMX.jpg)

Good o'le Texas bluebonnets. Unfortunately it was super windy so ghosting was a factor. ( I have to do HDR manually too. <_< )

DSC_8712-HDR%2525203.jpg

Thanks guys and hopefully this kind of gives a small tour of where I live.

1 person likes this

ahhhhhh, God's Country. I love Bastrop. I have family in Round Rock, and I personally planned to retire to the area between Austin and Bastrop. However, I am now married and raising a family in CT. My destiny is here, and there is a lot of natural beauty in New England, too! So, I probably won't ever make it back there for more than a vacation or two every few years. I had to sell the farm in Texas to help care for an autistic brother. But, what would a guy who lives in CT do with a farm in Texas anyway? Alas...

thanks for sharing.

kc

Edited by Kevin (The Professor)

@kevin Oh Round Rock... It's grown up so much! (Everything is growing too much here) My childhood was spent growing up in the Leander area just a few minutes from round rock.

@gerald Definitely have chickens among other barnyard animals. It's amazing that nothing gets them. 😝

Never have made it to Texas, but have several friends there (Round Rock, Austin, Denton)

Beautiful images and excellent photography.

Hognose's are my favorite for that reason, Dan! They hiss and flatten their heads but they're all bark and no bite. I believe they are mildly venomous, however there's no effect on humans.

I have lived and worked all around that area. Worked a couple jobs at the LCRA power plant also. Great people, good food, just an all around good area of Texas. Great pics by the way.

Eddie

Well it's been a bit toasty the past two days. My place was about 2 miles north of this new fire that's burned about 1500 acres and is 50% contained. We were lucky the blaze was blown away from our place. Nobody has been hurt and I don't think any houses have been burned. There were a bunch of evacuations though.

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

Edited by Austin_Lyles

I think the update is 2000 acres and only 10% contained now. 9 homes destroyed and 16 more are unknown. My house may be on the radar for the blaze come morning..... Hopefully the winds will be in our favor.

I certainly hope the winds are in your favor Austin. How far from your house is the fire?

Thanks Wes. The fire originated a little under 2 miles south from my house. We were relatively safe because the wind was pushing it southward. That was when the blaze was only 400 acres. Then all of a sudden it went from 400 to 1500 and now 2000+ acres. It's going around us as of right now but my dad had called earlier and said the morning winds may bring it back on us. Road's a mile away have been evacuated.

I lived in Magnolia when the Wheel Bearing fire was going. Nasty stuff, stay safe

Edited by S. Cruse

I hope you and yours remain safe Austin, and the fire continues to move around you. Fire is a wonderful thing when it's under control, but a demon when it isn't.

OK, you suck. There is so much light pollution where I am at that I can barely make out the Walmart Galaxy from the Truck Stop Nebula.

1 person likes this

You really are a talented photographer Austin. And that is a gorgeous picture of the sky. I am envious; like Brian, there is so much light pollution where I live :(

Haha Brian... your sense of humor was on point. :)

Really appreciate it Wes! It's one of the many hobbies I really enjoy but don't have much use for in the real world. The star's always fascinate me so much.

The star's always fascinate me so much.

Me too. My first major in college was physics, with the intention of becoming an astrophysicist. It never happened though because I was a stupid teenager. I still regret it to this day.

Great eye for the photography, sometimes it is hard to capture what the eye sees and you do a great job of that! Two thumbs up on the photo's!!!

We all need to take a moment in these times and gaze at the sky and the other wonderment's of God's world!! It always puts me closer to him!

Edited by C Craft