• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Austin_Lyles

My life in Bastrop,TX (not knife related)

58 posts in this topic

As I've been forced to slow with bladesmithing, I've kept myself busy with the camera and I may have what photographers call G.A.S (gear acquisition syndrome). Digital aside, I've had some time to dabble in film and really do enjoy the process. Last weekend I went to look at a HUGE collection of lenses and film bodies from a person off craigslist. There were some real gems in the collection, however I just couldn't afford them. Mainly some beautiful Meyer Optics lenses that I've had before, sold... and instantly regretted selling. After 2 hrs of looking through and testing, I came out with 3 film bodies and a light meter. A beautiful Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 (leaf shutter not working), a czech made Etareta, and an Ansco #3.

The three cameras with the etareta partially taken down.

dyEQkvfl.jpg

Now to my favorite. The Zeiss. The stuck shutter needed some work.

sbXdipOl.jpg

Partially taken apart.

KEUOuLYl.jpg

Now that's a dirty shutter. I cleaned it up but left the rust spots, as removing material would disrupt the timing of the shutter.

72xKvTul.jpg

Timing mechanism taken out. Needed a good cleaning in alcohol and lubing with some watch oil.

jM1zF5xl.jpg

The camera after cleaning up. Subtle yet, it looks completely brand new. I need to bring it in to get the shutter speed checked, however it seems to work just fine at all speeds.

SXYjBmkl.jpg

Scanned shot taken with the Zeiss on Ilford FP4 plus. Developed with some old developer so I was surprised I even got anything. First time using medium format and my goodness, the resolution is insane.

6ISe7ykh.jpg

Full Res Photo

Sorry for the long post! I was pretty proud I was able to clean up this 80 year old camera. :D

Edited by Austin_Lyles

Great find Austin, what is the size of the film and if more than 35mm where did you find it?

Hey Jim! It's 120 size. Medium format. Surprisingly enough, it's easy to get anywhere. I walked in to the local camera store, and had too many options to choose from.

Nice work!

I've done some 120/220 work, and it is nice to enlarge.  Some of those landscape shots you do will look great in B&W!

Edited by Brian Dougherty

Nice!  My dad still has his old Afga 120 film size bellows camera similar to that.  He took a lot of photos in the Korean War with it and I used it quite a bit in the 70's when I was figuring out how photography worked. 

Thanks guys! Brian, that's exactly what I'm looking forward to doing. Chances are high I'll return to Big Bend National Park this summer with this camera. Mr. Jackson, that camera sounds like its been through a lot. Do you have any of your dads pictures to share? 

Unfortunately not.  When they  moved into their present house in the late 80's, my mom threw out a bunch of old stuff to "de-clutter" the new house and that included the box of old photos my dad had taken.  I didn't find out they were gone until a couple years after they moved.  I guess they wound up in a landfill somewhere.