This is a boar staff I've just designed that I'll be carving sometime over the next six months or so, when I find the right piece of wood. I'm hoping for maple but I also really like the idea of carving it from hornbeem which I've discovered recently has beautiful tight grain and carves a bit like boxwood.

boarstaffdesign5.jpg

Edited by Jake Powning

Nice... I have so many ironwood (hop hornbeam) and diamond willow staves around that I keep for stuff like this. Just not enough time. Something comforting about taking a walk with a mighty staff.

Very interesting, turns out hornbeam is distributed all the way here to North Florida where I live. I am going to have to keep an eye out for it, very distinctive leaves. That will be an great staff Jake!

Edited by Guy Thomas

Hop-hornbeam is lovely stuff. it's what the old guys around here used to make axe handles from...

Ha.. that is exactly what I was told for my area too. And therefore I started hafting my axes with it. :-) It's not all that common but you find isolated patches. I was lucky to have a 'country neighbor' doing some logging and I was able to salvage some logs and get them sealed before they started checking.

It makes good bow wood as well.

Ha.. that is exactly what I was told for my area too. And therefore I started hafting my axes with it. :-) It's not all that common but you find isolated patches. I was lucky to have a 'country neighbor' doing some logging and I was able to salvage some logs and get them sealed before they started checking.

It makes good bow wood as well.

I had my buddy locate 4 perfect OLD growth hickories just this week. They were growing in the shade of mature trees for about 25 years and only about 8 inches in diameter and straight. I removed the bark and quad split one, and sealed them all. Ive never done this before so im excited to see the boar staff and try my hand at it as well! Any self bow experienced guys in here?

I had my buddy locate 4 perfect OLD growth hickories just this week. They were growing in the shade of mature trees for about 25 years and only about 8 inches in diameter and straight. I removed the bark and quad split one, and sealed them all. Ive never done this before so im excited to see the boar staff and try my hand at it as well! Any self bow experienced guys in here?

Gabriel.. I've made several. You have a long time before you can dig into that hickory. If you look through the archives in the 'Way'.. you will see a very long archery/bowyering thread. Feel free to PM me. Hickory is one of the most forgiving woods.. but you have a year or so before you can use the ones you just cut. I'd look for a stave on ebay.... Anyway... PM me if you'd like so we don't derail Jake's thread. Unless he'd like to change his idea to a Boar-bow. THAT would be cool.

• Like 1