Monday morning metal

Because it is Monday, and we like metal, and we all might all benefit from being better, faster, and stronger.

How a barbell is made with foundry and mill shots:

https://youtu.be/3aCMGqA6_XY

And in case you are feeling reflective, and are searching for what it means to be an artist, and a human.

The Artist and the Olympian:

https://youtu.be/rtynFQwMfP4

Edited by Michael Pikula

It appears to be friction (spin) welding. Apparently that is how they attach the largest diameter part of the bar to the second larges diameter part (where the weights go). Those two parts become one and are assembled to the base bar (smallest diameter) with a bushing, which allows free spinning.

I don't know this for sure, just what it looks like from the video and a quick look at the website.

Edited to add: Just found this and the link to it on their site confirms that it is friction welding of the sleeve: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxpW4kXTWfQ

Edited by Jerrod Miller

The first 2 minutes of the foundry/mill video is pretty much what is going on about 100 feet away from me most days at work. I like my job. B)

I have always wanted to check out a foundry. I get excited every time I see a video of one. I know it sounds dumb, but do foundries give tours?

Fewer and fewer tours all the time, due to safety/liability. Atlas Foundry (now Bradken) stopped giving tours when I was working there just for that reason. But if you know someone that works in a foundry they might be able to get you in. I give tours where I work all the time. Customers of course get to come through pretty much whenever they want to audit the process. But we open our doors to students, local industry groups, and the like often. Helps to be family owned, I think, as they are more likely to want to share the passion with others.

• 2 weeks later...

Fewer and fewer tours all the time, due to safety/liability. Atlas Foundry (now Bradken) stopped giving tours when I was working there just for that reason. But if you know someone that works in a foundry they might be able to get you in. I give tours where I work all the time. Customers of course get to come through pretty much whenever they want to audit the process. But we open our doors to students, local industry groups, and the like often. Helps to be family owned, I think, as they are more likely to want to share the passion with others.

You are the closest to me knowing someone that works in a foundry, and I only know you through here. Lame :( I get the liability issues though. We are talking about molten steel :)

You are the closest to me knowing someone that works in a foundry, and I only know you through here. Lame :( I get the liability issues though. We are talking about molten steel :)

How often do you make it to Spokane? ;)