WIP Damascus Polish Saber forging

Hi !

During summer I build a new workshop, made a new power hammer and now I start a new project, Polish saber, karabela type.

I decided to made it from damascus steel, I choose 1045 and ncv1 steel, 3 billets, 18 layers each, 450 g. weight.

Obraz 1062.jpg
After the first weld:
Obraz 1066.jpg
Heating to the welding temperature in my gas-forge:
Obraz 1067.jpg
And after forging on the power hammer:
Obraz 1069.jpg
Obraz 1070.jpg
After forging I use the stell rolling mill to get flat surface and equal thickness on the lenght:
Obraz 1071.jpg
3 billets after forging:
Obraz 1072.jpg
After grinding and forging the weight get loss from 1350 to 1083 gram.
Obraz 1073.jpg
Each billet cut into the 5 pieces, restack and after forging i get the 90 layers:
Obraz 1074.jpg
Forging:
Obraz 1075.jpg
Obraz 1078.jpg
and all three billet after forging process:
Obraz 1079.jpg
Now I loose less weight then previous time:
Obraz 1080.jpg
And now all three prevous billets weld together to make one big billet, after forging I get 270 layers:
Obraz 1081.jpg
Obraz 1082.jpg
Obraz 1083.jpg
Obraz 1084.jpg
Obraz 1085.jpg
And ready to forging 7mm thickness bar:
Obraz 1086.jpg
It has 3 cm width, 60 cm length, and 870 g. weight.

Here is the bar after the forging process, I got the 85 cm length blade, in the widest point is 34mm,
Obraz 1093.jpg
After first grinding I mark the fullers and start to grinding the blade:
Obraz 1094.jpg
Obraz 1095.jpg
During the forging and grinding I did not notice any delamination, so I'm very happy of welding quality in this piece.
Now it is after the grinding, near the tang I got 2 wide fullers and 1 narrow fuller on the back of blade, in the middle near blade is 1 wide fuller, near back is 3 narrow fullers, and at the point there is 2 wide fullers.
Obraz 1096.jpg

I hardened the blade already, and now hand grinding the blade, after that I made a video showing flexibility of the blade :)

Regards, Rafał Garbacik :)

You know, there's just so much quality work popping up here lately I'm having difficulty thinking up new compliments! :lol: Love that blade, the fuller work is inspiring. Are you doing the traditional thumb ring grip?

Thank you for all of the nice comments :)

No, Alan, in karabela there is not the thumb ring grip :) In my previous saber I made that ring, generally it occured in the hussar sabers :)

The handle of that saber will look like on that picture:

szabla.JPG

Ok, so I hardened and annealed the blade :) I've finished grinding of the blade. After it was grind with 300-grit sandpaper, I've record a video, where I show you the blade and test of flexibility, and finish grinding at the 1200-grit sand-paper, now left only polishing, etching, and sharpening it :)

Here is the video:

I speak in Polish, but I also added a subtitles in English :)

And 2 photos of blade :

Obraz 1110.jpg

Obraz 1112.jpg

Regards, Rafał Garbacik :)

• Like 1

The blade after etching, I must regrind the fullers, becouse of that i take too little diameter of bar to grinding there left a little scratches from belt grinder, in acid it has been etched and become very visible.

For me the pattern is little too dense, in the next blade I will make about 150 layers :)

Obraz 1116.jpg

Obraz 1117.jpg

Obraz 1118.jpg

Obraz 1119.jpg

Obraz 1120.jpg

Obraz 1121.jpg

That is breathtaking!

i love the intricate tip geometry, it just looks so wicked, with all the fullers and the false edge.

If i may ask: Are the small fuller scraped in?

first of all, I love sabers (from all sorts of cultures).

second, that is some very nice pattern welding.

third, those fullers raise this to a level above most work. They are artful, and as a craftsman, I can really appreciate the control required to make them. That is really great work. I am looking forward to watching the rest of this one.

kc

This is great to see.
Thank you for taking the time to document and show us in such detail.

I really appreciate the work you did with this. To my eyes the density of the pattern is really good. It gives you full satisfaction when seeing it close, but will not detract from the beautiful lines of the blade when you look at the sword at arms length distance. That is to me perfect (but there are surely other tastes in patterns and blades!).

I must also praise your work with fullers and groves. A very nice choice of combinations. The yelman (is this the correct term also for a Carabela blade) is graceful. Nice definition of the back edge.

Thank you!

Thank you for appreciating my work :) It's very nice to hear all of a good comment, It really motivates me to keep working :) I'm having a break at work now, I have also other thing to do, but I will post all pictures if I continue work with the sabre :)

I very much appreciate your grinding and scraping work with the fullers! I also like the high layer/dense pattern... but I could see a looser pattern working as well.