Is there anythiing on the market right now that will remove and loosen rust without dissolving the underlying steel? I know there was something a few years back, but I don't remember what it was called.

How bad is the rust and what's it on? That will help with recommendations, since you could need anything from really strong tea to phosphoric acid to electrolysis.

I use EvapoRust for tools/grinder. Planning on using it on the black rust that has crept up on my sons battle axe also.

Dan

I am restoring a Buffalo Forge Company hand crank impeller blade blower that has not been used in close to 20 years. The brass bushings are good and I was able to get all the spindles moving again. Now it is just a matter removing the layer of heavy rust on the inside of the crank housing, as well as cleaning up the outside of everything. I will get pictures of everything after this weekend (Romantic trip to the beach starting tomorrow).

You could try a good vinegar bath. That works pretty well at removing rust. Just be careful because it can etch metal as well. So don't just walk away from it lol.

Rinse the case out with acetone, then fill it with Coca-Cola. Let sit overnight or until the gears turn freely and the rust has turned to sludge, drain, rinse with hot soapy water, rinse again with acetone, then fill with a light oil like transmission fluid or 0w-20 motor oil. Coke is higly acidic! It's the phosphoric acid and carbonic acid that does the work, along with a little bit of tannin. Just like Naval Jelly but cheaper and more liquid. ;)