asking for web hosting recommendations

My website has been down for over a week and with that all of my emails.

I need recommendations for a stable, reliable hosting service with great support staff.

I originally used Hostgator to host my site. I had to change because suddenly I wasn't able to communicate with email users from the Aol or Yahoo domains due to the IP of the server being "gray-listed" for spam abuse. Hostgator was unable to fix the problem. I switched to Arvixe and they had a catastrophic failure of the RAID 10 where my files were stored. They stated that they do daily backups but that was untrue and currently the content files of my Wordpress site are corrupted including the backup files that I was doing on-site.

I would also need suggestions as to off-site backup.

Thanks.

Well-I was going to suggest Hostgator until I saw that you had problems.

I have used them for about 6 years and I don't seem to have any issues with AOL or Yahoo users.

I use Dropbox for a backup. There are several WordPress plugins available for it.

Up to 2Gb on DBOX is free. I have the paid version ($9.98 a month) for 1Tb. Everything I have on my computer is also linked to DB.

Word of warning. If you are changing computers and want to purge files on your old computer. Uninstall DBOX BEFORE the purge. If you don't, it will also erase them on the DBOX cloud storage and then when you link to your new computer it will erase them from that as well if you had previous downloaded to it. Luckily for me, DBOX keeps a backup of itself that I restored the files from.

I also have an Amazon AWS account. Looking at that as well as a secondary backup.

Just now exploring the Amazon thing. Can also host on demand videos from there using JW player.

Anyplace that uses RAID as a backup solution needs to be shot. I am really sorry about your data lose.

Try Bluehost. Some of the IT folks I have worked with suggest them. Also, they are Wordpress's suggested webhost for Wordpress sites. They can spin up your host with Wordpress already installed if you like.

Dan's suggestion of using a cloud storage service for keeping backups of your own is a good idea. I have used Dropbox for years and love them. I also use Google Drive and they are good as well. And both are free, and provide enough storage for a Wordpress site.

A word of caution though. Wordpress is currently in the throes of a huge hacking problem. There are huge exploits in some of the plugins that people use. You may want to try another CMS...

Edited by Wes Detrick

To be honest, I've been using GoDaddy for 11 or 12 years now (since before they even started advertising) and I've never once had a problem or downtime except when they told me "we're moving your server to another database and it'll be down for 2 days" and 2 days later it was back up and no problems since. I cant complain and infact would recommend them.

Thanks for the advice. The more I look into this, it sounds like I need to stay away from companies now owned by EIG,

Wes, what other CMS are there that are simple to use and safer?

I was never that big into web development in school, my interests led me elsewhere. But, I have a friend that loves Drupal and builds sites using that. It is open source, which is always a big win for me. It's also quite popular and has a large community behind it.

There are also the CMS's that are mostly just site builders, but some of them can be quite good. Squarespace and Wix are two that are easy to use and can produce good looking sites.

I am hosted by Alex Whetsell of Atlantavirtual.com He started knife network.com many years ago, and is very knife friendly. The service is excellent, and his building is located on an internet node or some such thing... meaning it always loads fast. I pay $14.95 / mo. for very good service. I highly recommend.

GreenGeeks dot com. Cheap, reliable, eco friendly, great support. Used them before, and the service is good.

From the website:

"Independently Owned Since 2008. Hosting 300,000+ Websites".

I don't like dealing with big companies either.

Good Luck with your search,

-Bruno

• 1 month later...

GoDaddy. I use it for my site, and have never had technical problems. We use it for Resilience Forge, and the email works great. Their live 24/7 customer support speaks better English than you, and can do just about anything, even if it's not on the standard menu - they want to keep their customers happy, and do an outstanding job. I have no plans to shift away, and they would have to catastrophically mess up for me to even think about it.

Good luck.

Heh, the last two post sum up my experience perfectly. I work for a small engineering company. We develop electro-mechanical systems as well as software. Our software developers dislike GoDaddy on a personal level. However the recommend GoDaddy to all of our clients that don't have much software development expertise because it just simply works.