Fire proof wadding for a gas forge

Can anyone advise what the best fire proof wadding to use in my gas forge. I have some that came with the forge but it is melting away quickly where the heat hits it. If not wadding is there any other way of protecting the inside of the forge. Also where can I buy some

Andy

8 pound kaowool is what I use in mine. Coat it with a refractory. You can get both from USAKnifemaker.com or High Temperature Tools websites.

Castree kilns sell ceramic fibre in 7.5 Meter rolls and some times smaller amounts. They also sell on evilbay.

Make sure you get it rated for at least 1250°C ideally 1400°C. This should stop it melting from heat. But flux will eat this lining really fast! You will need rigidizer as well. I use rigidizer then cover in fire cement which helps. For the bottom of the forge you can use thin fire brick which does resist flux reasonably well. Or if you are making it from scratch then castable refractory may be something to think about. But be aware that solid materials take a while to get to temp.

Andrew

Can anyone advise what the best fire proof wadding to use in my gas forge. I have some that came with the forge but it is melting away quickly where the heat hits it. If not wadding is there any other way of protecting the inside of the forge. Also where can I buy some

Andy

Whereabouts are you? As Alan says, some stuff is harder to find in the UK. Other stuff is easy and, on a little island, pretty close.

What is the forge? Pics or a good description would help. Pics are usually better: since you are asking the question, there's a fair chance you are new enough to this that you don't yet know the right questions to ask.

What do you use it for? The temperature makes a difference and if it involves flux, the answer will be very different to if it doesn't involve flux.