John Page

Migration Era Europe

Not blade related, but I thought you all might appreciate this one. For the last three years and change, I've been working on a semi-historical map of Europe as known in the later Migration era. All the names are translated from period accurate spellings then transcribed to Fuþorc runes. The political boundaries are also feasibly accurate, drawn from a mixture of old maps and references in text. The beasts on the legend are a bit of a stretch, but I had a hard time finding things that would fit the geometry, so I loosely referenced some artefacts and filled in the rest. All in all, it feels good to finally be done with it!

Thanks for looking

John

p.s.

If you want a print, I have them here!

p.p.s. The site gave me a promo for free shipping until the 11th!

Render smaller.jpg

Edited by John Page
  • Like 1

Holy shit John, that is seriously awesome cartography! I love it!

Wow, that is fantastic!

I love maps like this, I actually have a few of Tolkien's maps as posters, and yours really reminds me of them.

I Can't even imagine what kind of patience and research must have went into this.

Man! John!

That is just beautiful!

Is there anything you can't do?

-Gabriel

Thanks everyone!

Wonderful !

Man! John!

That is just beautiful!

Is there anything you can't do?

-Gabriel

For real John!

Cool! I don't know much about cartography, but that is a lot of fun to look at. :D

Thanks everyone!

That'll be double :P

Absolutely gorgeous work. I had to share it around the internet just to make sure it got the exposure it deserves.

Do you think the prints would tolerate being "antiqued" with tea bags or the like?

Thanks! That's a good question, I'm not sure what material the prints are printed on. I think it is a very low gloss cotton paper, but I could be mistaken. Not sure how that would hold up to moisture, or what sort of ink they use.

scratch that, just found this on the site:

Gallery quality Giclée prints on natural white, matte, ultra smooth, 100% cotton rag, acid and lignin free archival paper using Epson UltraChrome™ K3 archival inks - the standard by which all other professional level ink technologies are measured. All gallery prints are produced using the Epson Stylus Pro 11880 - the world's most advanced 64-inch wide printer. Custom trimmed by hand with a 2" border for medium, large and x-large prints and a 1" border for our mini and small prints.

Cheers!

:)