Printed image transfer

Don Abbott

Here’s a trick that everybody probably already knows, but I just stumbled upon it and have found it very useful, so I thought I’d pass it along.

I work in AutoCAD for a living, so I do most of my drawing in CAD, but any image should work. The important thing is having a laser printer.

I printed my drawing on a piece of plain, cheap, uncoated printer paper:

1_paper%20sheet.jpg

Then I cut one out. You can see I included the red border for alignment purposes:

2_cut%20out.jpg

You’ll need to tape it lightly to keep it in position. Make sure it is FACE DOWN:

3_tape%20down.jpg

Then you’ll need some acetone and a paper towel. Fold the paper towel into a pad that will cover the whole image:

4_acetone.jpg

Saturate the pad with acetone… wet but not dripping:

5_saturate.jpg

Then lay the pad flat over the paper and apply pressure. Do not rub or move it; just good even pressure with your fingers.

6_press%20down.jpg

You can experiment with the press time… probably 10 seconds. Sometimes less is better. Just try it on some scrap and see what works best for you.

There you have your image. I used a piece of osage here for contrast:

7_image%20on%20wood.jpg

I’m thinking you could probably find a clear-coat that would preserve the image without damaging it, but my purpose here was to give myself a carving guide.

Here’s my practice piece:

8_practice.jpg

And here’s a little preview of what I hope to finish up in a few days:

9_preview.jpg

I still have some experimenting to do with this. I’m thinking it should work on bone and antler, but I haven’t tried it yet.

Hope you can find some use for it.

Don

• Like 1