Sign in to follow this  
R.W. Deavers

Camp hatchet

After a few setbacks, I finally have figured out a true one-piece hatchet fit for camping, backpacking, survival.... The hatchet is hand forged from one piece of leaf spring with the handle wrapped in parachord. One of the design elements that the customer wanted was to be able to also throw it, so the weight distribution had to be factored in. Also, the blade is long enough to meet local legal carry laws. This hatchet can handle everything from wood carving to blazing to clearing saplings with one swing.

camp hatchet 1.jpg

• Like 1

Good work.

That looks very interesting.

that is very interesting, pretty cool. is the handle drawn down from the leaf spring or is it close to a stock leaf spring? or was the head just bent over and flattened out? (does my question even make sense?) do you have any WIP pics? how is this constructed?

Blazing? What is blazing? I am not up on the terms, I guess.

that looks solid and useful. How heavy is it? It must have a million uses if you were camping/trekking with it.

excellent.

kc

edited to add: Blazing = trailblazing?

Edited by Kevin (The Professor)

Kevin, you're an old Boy Scout and you don't know about the ancient and fine art of blazing!! ;) That's just cutting a patch of bark off a tree to mark a trail. My only problem with it is that after walking around in circles enough all the trees are missing bark.

I do have to agree that that's an interesting integral ax.

Doug

I cut a section out of a truck leaf spring about a foot long by about an inch and a quarter wide. The area of the leaf spring used already had a nice thickness taper to it, so I used the thicker end for the blade and head. After straightening out the slight arc in the leaf, I bent about three and a half inches of the thicker end over 90 degrees and upset the bend. I then proceeded to draw out and shape the head and bend the worked my way down the handle. A little note, I didn't use any vice for the bending, I used the hardy hole. The whole hatchet has a thickness about 1/4". Sorry about not have WIP pictures. Once I get zoned into project, I lose track of everything else.

Blazing? What is blazing? I am not up on the terms, I guess.

that looks solid and useful. How heavy is it? It must have a million uses if you were camping/trekking with it.

excellent.

kc

edited to add: Blazing = trailblazing?

The weight is actually lighter than a regular hatchet. To test it, I did some chopping on some saplings, feathered some sticks for kilning, did some carving, made a quick tent stake and pounded it into the ground, and it can be thrown if needed. And the handle is also rounded so it can still be used if you need the chord for something.