Justin leonard

Cutting edge

What's the best way to fashion the cutting edge on a fresh tempered blade

You mean like sharpening it? Putting the first edge on it? I used to use a Lansky to set the edge until I taught myself how to use waterstones. The Lansky is a good start because it takes the headache of maintaining the right angle. I eventually forced myself to use a stone, and now I use that to set my edge and sharpen it.

Yes setting the secondary bevel is my real question I've used land key to do it a few times but I was just wondering about some other people's ideas

I grind my edges really thin (probably between 5 and 10 thousandths) and then feather them down to a burr on a slack belt. After that just do a few passes on fine grit stones and then strop with leather. Works every time.

That would be great if I had a belt grinder I still have to draw file my bevels

Use a rough stone to bring your bevels down to almost an edge. Once that is done, polish the blade to the final finish, and then use a medium stone to set the edge. Then use progressively finer stones to polish it. Substitute rough stones for low grit paper on a hard flat surface.