Sign in to follow this  
Josh A Weston

The Shark Axe

Wrought iron has such a beautiful look. The life and lines of the wrought bring a special dimension to the body of work. This axe represents my first successful wrought iron axe body with a carbon cutting edge. The trick for success was to keep the cross section of the eye very thick. I started out with about 700 grams of weight and ended around 400 but I was able to keep that cross section quite thick. It was still tricky to shape the eye without the wrought crumbling but the wrought I used for this is very good quality.

The blade shape is shark inspired, hammer head to be more precise. The cutting edge feels like a shark fin or head protruding out of a sea of wrought iron. It is shaped much like a fin and comes complete with a mouth full of teeth in the underside. It throws like a dream and cuts like sharpened shark teeth. It’s ready to be-head the toughest of fish.

I forged this from some of the anchor chain I ordered from Craig Hashimoto. It's some lovely stuff. Holds together well and has some great patterns.

tumblr_nvz2arIadu1qz9mvno4_540.jpg

tumblr_nvz2arIadu1qz9mvno1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nvz2arIadu1qz9mvno2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nvz2arIadu1qz9mvno3_540.jpg

tumblr_nvz2arIadu1qz9mvno5_540.jpg

• Like 3

Wow, that is really badass! I like the texture. Is the edge wrapped around the wrought?

Wesley, the edge is folded inside the wrought but it looks like it is around it due to the amount of time I left it in acid.

lol very clever :) Mean looking axe too...

Beautiful.... it's really nice to see those old chain links come to life in new forms!

Thanks for sharing!