14...15...16th century armor

Hi all

I apologize if this is off topic.

I am looking for some information and pictures on historically accurate armor from the 14 to 16th century. and also the weapons.

I started medieval combat in a sword and shield club and have to get some armor.. since im doing smithing i was hoping to make it myself and save some money.

any info would be appreciated thank you

I can't offer any real advice other than to ask if you've looked in a library? There are books written on the subject (have even seen one specifically on armor reproduction), even if you're local library doesn't have something that you are looking for you may be able to borrow books from another library through you local one for a small fee.

ron

Hi Ron. That was my next step, i will surely go have a look in a library.

Google mostly offer fantasy based armor, although i did come across a few things here and there.

I'm about half way through this book and have found it to be pretty helpful. The author focuses on historical accuracy, made with modern tooling (as well as historical). I'm waiting to try my hand at armor making until I finish the book, but so much stuff keeps coming up so I don't get much time with it.

European Weapons and Armour by Ewart Oakeshott will give you some idea of 15th and 16th century armor but 14th century armor seems to be a little before the scope of this book. I've got another book on armor but I haven't found the right pile yet. I'll keep looking and see if it covers the time period that you want.

Doug

For the best overall history of European armour look for "European armour" by Claude Blair. Anything by Alan Williams is great on metallurgy but a bit light on history of armour.

It you have a look around armour archive you should get an idea of the different look of armour and how it varies in time and regionally.

Andrew

I've made armor for paintball and my kid's halloween costumes, and a chainmail vest, and to be honest, I HATE making armor. But for some masochistic reason it still fascinates me.

I really don't know any good sources of what armor should look like, but I have a PDF file of the basics of armor making. I'll try and attach it to this. If you can't download it, message me and I'll email it to you. From what I've gathered, the plus side is that steel is usually worked cold in armoring, and a forge is used mostly to anneal it as needed.

Hope some of that helps.

I know armoring isn't really in the scope of this site, but I'd like to know if you learn anything.

Basic-Armouring.pdf