After quite a few failed attempts at making damascus style blades, I finally had one succeed. The steel used is 5160 spring steel and some medium carbon steel from the railroad. I have 64 layers total. The scales are made from Osage Orange, which is another first for me, and the pins are copper. I am rather pleased (and relieved) about how this one came out.

damascus 1.JPG

damascus 2.JPG

Nice job RW !!

Alan in your opinion , what simple steel is best suited to weld with 5160 ?

Rob

Anything without chrome or nickel works fine. 1095, 1084, 1075, et cetera. The more manganese the darker the etch. I'd use 1084 just because the HT is more similar. 5160 likes a medium-fast quench and 1095 and 1075 like a really fast quench. 1084 can get full hardness in a medium-fast oil, so I'd use that for preference. It also etches darker.

Anything without chrome or nickel works fine. 1095, 1084, 1075, et cetera. The more manganese the darker the etch. I'd use 1084 just because the HT is more similar. 5160 likes a medium-fast quench and 1095 and 1075 like a really fast quench. 1084 can get full hardness in a medium-fast oil, so I'd use that for preference. It also etches darker.

Thanks Alan......will let you know how it turns out , lots of 1084