My brother turned 50 in September. I figured I better make him something special since he's always been a fan of my knives.

The blade is 1095/15N20 damascus, and I believe it's from the first billet of damascus I ever made. It's about 9" long (I forgot to measure it before i gave it to him).
DSC03154.jpg

Our Mom lives in an 1815 farmhouse and there's a ton of old metal lying around where the barns and other buildings used to be. I cut the fittings out of a very rusty old strap hinge, soaked them in rust remover and the did a ferric etch for an hour, followed by a wire wheel. I'm really happy with the texture that I got from this.
DSC03153.jpg

The handle is some spalted stabilized Japanese Red Maple from a tree in Mom's front yard that we used to play in when we were kids. It's dying now, and my brother had cut the dead parts off for fire wood, but then notices the spalting and gave me the logs for handles.
11950250_1155134191170484_782233260397732326_o.jpg

I also ran vine pattern filework down the spine just because I could :-)
12017656_1155134161170487_8207388906488766165_o.jpg

And yes, my brother was very happy with this. Kinda stunned even, which is what I wanted.

That is way more than a knife. I love the connection it has to your family. Hopefully this will be a family treasure in 100 years :)

Man, that is a great bowie Matthew. The guard and spacer are fantastic. Hell, the whole thing is great. I love how each part of that knife has some emotional significance. Things from the house you grew up in, your first damascus billet...

Nice work!

“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer."  -Albert Camus

http://www.krakenforge.net/

I too like how you worked the family connections into that one. I guarantee you he will be still bragging about that one the day he passes it on to one of his kids.

Great knife and truly do love how you worked in all the different parts of the knife so it has family connection. Family is all we got in this world and too many have forgotten how truly important that connection is !!!!

Mathew two thumbs up!!!!

C Craft Customs ~~~ With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down ! If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner! ~~~ C Craft

Great knife, Matthew, well done!. Love the special materials, and everything. Neat vinework!

I have always thought that one man of tolerable abilities may work great changes, and accomplish great affairs among mankind, if he first forms a good plan....

- Benjamin Franklin

wonderful knife made for the best of reasons. just what this stuff is all about. love the blade, and also the poochie on the sheath!

kc

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs