VG10 Questions

Hey guys,

I was asked the other day about VG10. The person wanted to know a bunch of stuff about it, from chemical makeup and edge retention, etc. but I thought I would ask you more experienced guys what you think about it. Pro's/con's what you like, what you don't anything along those lines.

I don't need the chemical composition, or anything I can google, just personal experience with it as a blade steel. Not just stock removal, but if you have any experience with using it in damascus or as a core for soft damascus shell.

Thanks in advance!

Brad

Beginner knife maker looking to learn more and grow in the art!

Instagram: @bjw_custom_knives

Facebook: facebook.com/BJWCustomKnives

I'm a bit wary of saying anything about it, as I've heard good things. My experience is limited to purchasing a fairly expensive factory made knife 2 years back. I found it didn't take an edge well/difficult to sharpen and the edge didn't last long. My own inexperience at sharpening could have been to blame, however I could get all my other knives sharp using the same methods. Stainless is not my cup of tea.

Edited by Austin_Lyles
  • Like 1

Thanks guys.

Austin, I agree, not my cup of tea either.

Alan, how about with stropping? any recommended compounds/ dusts etc? I have one blade (fairly new) with VG10 and a quick strop seems to work pretty well. It is only about a month old, so hasn't seen much use yet.

Brad

Beginner knife maker looking to learn more and grow in the art!

Instagram: @bjw_custom_knives

Facebook: facebook.com/BJWCustomKnives

• 3 weeks later...

I've sharpened a few knives with that steel in the past and have found them to be a bit of a bugger to fix. Granted by the time I get them they are well beyond stropping and need some serious time on the stones. I tend to use diamond stones if they need a lot of work, or preferably water stones if possible if they aren't too bad.

In my limited experience it takes work to set an edge but it's held very well if maintained. I always like to strop after sharpening to refine the edge as much as possible microscopically. I've been using Herb's Yellowstone stropping compound and it does wonders, even on a mirror edge.

• Like 1