peter johnsson

Fresh from the printer: The Sword - Form and Thought

Dear fellows, keepers of the flame

I am happy to announce that the catalogue of the exhibition at the Deutsches Klingenmuseum: "The Sword -Form and Thought" is finally available.

There are (short) articles on various aspects of the sword. The early sword smith, the fencing manuals and the knight is presented. Fo the first time, the dynamic properties of swords is discussed and presented in diagrams making it possible to compare the handling characteristics of viking period swords, knightly arming swords, tow handers and rapids side by side. Ever been curious to know how the handling of a rapier differs from that of a viking age sword? Wonder no longer. The catalogue will show you exactly what to expect.

Furthermore, the catalogue includes true to actual form & proportion line drawings of each sword on display (48 in all) with analysis of their proportions.

Important stats on all swords are included, such as total length, total width, blade length, blade width, blade thickness, total weight and point of balance.

Full page photos of all swords are prominently featured.

On the inside of the covers you will find an overview of geometric strategies used in design of medieval art and engineering and possible also the design of the high medieval sword. on the inside of the back cover is a presentation of the Oakeshott typology of swords, expanded by the work of recent scholars. For the first time in print you will find the Elmslie typology of the asymmetrical single edged sword.

The catalogue is bi-lingual in German and English comprising 192 pages and cost 49 euros. It can be ordered from the site of the Deutsches Klingenmusem (http://www.klingenmuseum.de/_english/dkm/homepage.html).

ISBN 978-3-930315406

Only 2000 copies are printed.

It will be possible to order also from Amazon or any other online bookshop, but last I checked the catalogue had not yet registered in the Amazon system.

ein auge schmied.jpg

St.Georg.jpg

2-rhinegold.png

Mass-Nodes-Pivots.png

MountingDynamics.png

BasicStructureStrategy.png

Strategies-Corr2.0.png

I just sent an email inquiring about ordering a copy and how best to pay for it and shipping to my address in the States. I hope that I didn't embarrass myself TOO much with my broken German, but i sent it in English too in the same email. (Times like these I really hate the American education system for being so ethnocentric that practically no one grows up learning a 2nd language)

Any word on when this is being listed on Amazon? or other ways to order in the US?

I received mine this weekend. It is awesome!!!!

It was a bit of an ordeal to get since I don't read German.

1. You can submit a request on the museum site.

2. They replied with an email in German giving me a bank account number and a total to be transferred to that account.

2a. There is also something that looks like an order number that was in the email with the German word for "Important" next to it.

3. I went to a Western Union office, and literally broke their system trying to transfer the money. They are not set up real well for transferring money to a company as opposed to an individual. Inthe process I spent a few hours learning about international banking, and what all the numbers really mean. Additionally, I wasn't able to reference the order number in the transfer.

4. In the end I had sent $80 to someone, and I was pretty sure I sent it to somebody in Germany.

5. About a week later a package arrived :)

Gloat :)

Edited by Brian Dougherty

I received mine this weekend. It is awesome!!!!

It was a bit of an ordeal to get since I don't read German.

1. You can submit a request on the museum site.

2. They replied with an email in German giving me a bank account number and a total to be transferred to that account.

2a. There is also something that looks like an order number that was in the email with the German word for "Important" next to it.

3. I went to a Western Union office, and literally broke their system trying to transfer the money. They are not set up real well for transferring money to a company as opposed to an individual. Inthe process I spent a few hours learning about international banking, and what all the numbers really mean. Additionally, I wasn't able to reference the order number in the transfer.

4. In the end I had sent $80 to someone, and I was pretty sure I sent it to somebody in Germany.

5. About a week later a package arrived :)

Gloat :)

What a thriller!

I am happy this gut wrenching story had a happy end.

The museum is fighting a hard battle with the local authorities to be allowed to set up a PayPal account for the museum´s shop.

It is not as easy as just registering it.

There are Rules and Regulations.

And the not so small matter of convincing German bureaucrats.

In the mean time, I hope there will be a reply letter in English to non-german speaking customers, as a first step...

But, I am really happy that you are satisfied with the catalogue. Perhaps you can think of the process of ordering it as a kind of initiation or rite of passage?

;-)

But, I am really happy that you are satisfied with the catalogue. Perhaps you can think of the process of ordering it as a kind of initiation or rite of passage?

;-)

To be honest, I saw this an an overdue lesson in how to exchange money with people outside my own country. You would think I would have learned that before age 44.

With google translate, you can get the meaning of something written, it just won't be conversational quality translation. I just hope the response I sent back using the translator didn't sound like it was coming from a child :)

If anyone starts down this road, and needs help, feel free to reach out. I have all the western union paperwork, so we should be able to repeat the result easily enough.

In the mean time, anyone near west central Indiana is welcome to come peruse the catalog over a beer. I'll supply the beer, you can tell me swordsmithing stories.

I just got my copy in the mail. In hindsight I should have bought several copies, and only had to pay the international bank transfer fees once and save some other people in the states some money, but that's hindsight.

I love the page with all the dynamics of each sword, so much info that you just never see in any other catalog of blades anywhere!

Is this book available at the exhibition or do I have to buy it online? I'm going to be going in February. I tried buying it online. I filled out the form and I got an email saying that after I click the submit button the bank information should have come up. I filled the form out again and nothing happened. I emailed them and they haven't gotten back to me. I have to have this book.

It is really a sorry mess that it has been impossible for the museum to open a PayPal account.
Because of German bureaucracy and the fact that the city of Solingen has been less than helpful, wire transfer of money directly to the museum seems to be the option.
I heard a rumour that some German online bookshops have the catalogue for sale, but I lack information to be helpful here I´m afraid.

The catalogue is available for direct purchase at the museum, if you have the possibility to pass by.

I shall try to keep an eye out for alternative sources and again talk with the museum to see if the situation might be solved somehow. I know they would see a great increase in sales if they could set up a PayPal account for the sale of this catalogue.

Please post updates on the availability on this!! Very exciting.. but frustrating. :-)

They sent me the bank information for the wire transfer. But it turns out my bank needs more information such as their bank name/address/branch, the name (person or company) and address of the beneficiary of that bank account. So I emailed them back and I'm just waiting on that information. I dont mind the hasstle as long as I get this book at somepoint.

Edited by Steve Karakostas

Hmmm.. I hope I haven't made a mistake or have been scammed somehow.. But I did just order the catalog through this website:

https://www.battlemerchant.com/

I did get stung with $38 shipping.. which seems steep. But at least it seems as if this book is coming my way? I can only hope.. :-)

Hmmm.. I hope I haven't made a mistake or have been scammed somehow.. But I did just order the catalog through this website:

I did get stung with $38 shipping.. which seems steep. But at least it seems as if this book is coming my way? I can only hope.. :-)

Looks pretty legit. If I have trouble getting one directly from the museum I will be getting one from here. Good find, thanks!

Keep us posted, it looks like an easier way than dealing with the museum directly. IF it shows up...

Keep us posted, it looks like an easier way than dealing with the museum directly. IF it shows up...

Yeah all seems legitimate. I wasn't sure if there was an english version AND a german version and they got right back to me with the answer (didn't see that it was bi-lingual). So.. excited to get this. Interesting that a company like this would have copies.. makes me wonder if the owner attended the event and just decided to pick up a few for sale...

Unfortunately they declined all three of my credit cards for unspecified reasons, including the one specifically meant to make international transactions easier. I remain bummed.

Edit: Apparently it was because they are sold out. I remain bummed, still.

Edited by Alan Longmire

So bummed....

My wife was trying to get me a copy for Christmas....

This would explain why she was having a hard time.

:'(

-Gabriel

I guess I got lucky. I wonder if my post lead to the sell out!? :o

I haven't gotten mine yet.. so I shouldn't feel too smug.

Please share your opinion of the catalogue when you get it.
It would be useful to learn what you find to be good and what is less good to your opinion.
(Good for me to know if there is ever a second opportunity for a book project like this. :-) )

I am still in contact with the museum to see if there is any way to make it more easily accessible.

In the end, the current method of wire transfer between accounts is not unsafe or risky. It only takes a little more effort to handle the payment.

American banks are not fond of making wire transfer easy for customers.
I am sorry that all friends on the other side of the pond has to be troubled by this tangle of European and US banking traditions and bureaucracy, but perhaps you might see it as a rite of passage? A little effort and soul searing to be given access to the content of the book?

;-)

Please share your opinion of the catalogue when you get it.

It would be useful to learn what you find to be good and what is less good to your opinion.

(Good for me to know if there is ever a second opportunity for a book project like this. :-) )

I am till in contact wit the museum to see if there is any way to make it more easily accessible.

In the end, the current method with wire transfer is nothing that is risky. It only takes a little more effort to handle the payment.

American banks are not fond of making wire transfer easy for customers.

I am sorry that all friends on the other side of the pond has to be troubled by this tangle of European and US banking traditions and bureaucracy, but perhaps you might see it as a rite of passage? A little effort and soul searing to be given access to the content of the book?

;-)

Sure thing.. can't wait to get it. I have some projects coming up that will likely benefit from this knowledge.

I wonder if somebody could convince Battle Merchant to acquire more copies???