peter johnsson

Fresh from the printer: The Sword - Form and Thought

Sure thing.. can't wait to get it. I have some projects coming up that will likely benefit from this knowledge.

I wonder if somebody could convince Battle Merchant to acquire more copies???

Yes please! I want to order one :(

Please share your opinion of the catalogue when you get it.

It would be useful to learn what you find to be good and what is less good to your opinion.

(Good for me to know if there is ever a second opportunity for a book project like this. :-) )

I am still in contact with the museum to see if there is any way to make it more easily accessible.

In the end, the current method of wire transfer between accounts is not unsafe or risky. It only takes a little more effort to handle the payment.

American banks are not fond of making wire transfer easy for customers.

I am sorry that all friends on the other side of the pond has to be troubled by this tangle of European and US banking traditions and bureaucracy, but perhaps you might see it as a rite of passage? A little effort and soul searing to be given access to the content of the book?

Got mine.. haven't had a chance to read in detail... but from the images and the details on the museum swords: What a gift to swordsmiths Peter...

Edited by Scott A. Roush

I was bummed when I saw the post that said it had been sold out. I looked more closely at the posts and it looked like it was just battle merchant that had been sold out so I went to the museum website and tried to order one. I also sent a message along with the order asking if there were any more copies available. It didn't take long for me to get the same email Brian did with account numbers and such. The next day a representative from the museum also emailed me saying that copies were available, so I was off to my local bank. BTW I don't speak German, luckily google translate worked very well in this instance. After spending about an hour at the bank, apparently like Western Union the don't do a lot of international transfers, my wire went through and now I am highly anticipating the catalogs arrival! If you choose to go this route be sure to take the address of the bank the transfer is going to with you (I think the name is Stadt-Solingen Sparkasse). I got lucky and my bank was willing to try and look it up, yours may not be since the website is in German. Also they will need to know what kind of account it is. I chose checking, more of a guess really, I figured a business account used for processing orders wouldn't be a savings account. All of the other info you need is in the email the museum sends. I hope this info helps any of you who wanted to order one.

I can't speak to everyone's bank policies, but I know my credit union (like a members-only bank here) charges an extraordinary fee to do a wire transfer, as much as the product itself in this case. That's why I did the "hand the cash along" project with you, Peter, for the Metaller book last year, it would cost double for my bank to work to European preferences.

FINALLY got my copy today! Well, it arrived in February but it was to be a birthday present so it got hidden away until this morning. I have not had the chance to do more than skim it so far, but to me it is well worth the effort it took to acquire. Thanks, Peter!

Perhaps this is a new development since the last post here in April, I just ordered the book through shop.histofakt.de. The link to this shop was provided on the museum website. I was able to make my payment using PayPal which was very quick and reasonable. The only tricky thing was shipping to the US was not an option on the drop down menu on the checkout page, but a couple emails with the company straightened that out (they do ship to the US regularly, there's just some bug in the system).

After seeing a copy of the book last week during a wonderful visit with Peter, I am very excited to examine it more closely when I get back to the States. And here's a big thank you to all those who helped put this together, what a wealth of information!

Has anyone tried to buy from this past link? I've tried twice and have the notice that PayPal has been cancelled?

Andrew