Things with Funny Lines in the Blades

Hello:

Here are some stuff I whipped out this week for the upcoming show at Cashman Field here in the LV valley.

The leaf blades and the shortsword are 1095 and L6..The Dag is 1095, WI and meteoric iron. The Bovine ivory grips are studded in a diaper pattern. I think they all turned out pretty good..

Blade lengths are in the 19" to 21" range. These should help to fill up the table..next up some RR spikers..

Hope these pics turn out.

JPH

DSC02035.jpg

DSC02038A.jpg

DSC02039A.jpg

DSC02046A.jpg

DSC02047A.jpg

These all are good but I am drawn to the leaf blades. I liked the earlier ones you completed before surgery. I guess these are bovine handles as well? May I ask what or how they were dyed irregardless? Are the blades distal tapered or held even in thickness through some point in the length? (May I ask that also?)

Gary T

GT:

They all have distal tapers or else they would weigh waaay too much to be usable...the shortsword has a "re-enforced" tip due to the fuller ending..but still it handles quite well...

JPH

Here are some stuff I whipped out this week for the upcoming show at Cashman Field here in the LV valley.

:|

Joking aside, this is great work JPH. Wish I was in Vegas so I could come see your table. What show is it? My brother lives in Vegas...

Wes:

It's at Cashman Field Sat and Sun...10 to 6 Sat 10 to 4 Sunday I believe.. Will have the remaining Japanese swords in my series as well as a few other things...My son Stretch will be there with me..

JPH

looks cool. I would say you are back in full form after the hand surgery. The steel in those blades is just right. The leaf shapes rock. I just love the way you do those.

I made a knife for a cowboy friend of mine, and he honestly said about me to someone else, "He makes good knives, but he uses that weird steel."

Since he was an old friend, and a dear friend, I made him a knife from a file from his grandfather-in-law's mechanic and blacksmith shop. He was happier with that than with a multi-bar twist core blade I made him first. Oh well.

It was fun heat treating one of the really old crucible steel files.

hope you sell them all, and a sword or two.

Hello:

Thank you for the kind words..no it doesn't take me all that long..the set up I have I have tailored to the way I work..that and the amount of time I have spent doing this..it is getting close to 50 years now..damn I am getting old..funny thing is..I don't "feel old"..Yeah some things are starting to creak, pp and crack as I go about my day and my arms are getting too short for me to read without glasses..funny thing here is at distance I have better than 20/20 vision.....at least my shooting isn't being affected.

You will be surprised at what you can get done when you put your mind into it.. On the PW stuff I start out (usually) with a faggot that is 1 1/4" sq, 14 to 18" long..with 50 to 75 pieces in it. Weld, draw and cut into 4s, weld again and I am basically ready to pattern after the draw.. Doesn't take long with my 25# LG and Julius...In fact it usually takes me longer to pattern the bar than it did to weld it up...

Yeah the meat hook is doing great..The VA tried to kill me but they didn't quite do it..came close but the human cockroach survived once again...

Well back to work for me..making some RR spike blades today for this show..may post those later..still have some tooling to make as well for my son's ring making endeavors..Gonna change his name from "Stretch" to "Nick Ringo".. Looks like I FINALLY found a serious protege...

More later!!

JPH

Allen:

Yeah..you think with all that work I'd git dem grind lines outter dem blades... mabbbe I shuld get demmed chromed??

JPH

chromed... definitely chromed. then they would be sick.

Good stuff!

I had a guy stop by the shop the other day, saying he had heard from someone that I make knives. I said that I did, and offered a few of my best in progress blades which were naturally all pattern welded. "huh, pretty cool... do you leave the blade like that?" was his response. It is actually humbling to know that the things we work so hard at are just funny lines to others.