Each day set forth to fly;
For Hugin I fear lest he come not home,
But for Munin my care is more.”

Above excerpt from the Poetic Edda poem Grímnismál

Fast and light it swings
Like Huginn’s feathered wings.
Quick and brute the seax
Like Muninn’s angry beak.

15″ Blade (wrought iron, 1084, 15n20, 80crv2)
5/5” Handle (wrought iron, elk antler, teak)
20.5” Overall
1.2 Pounds
2.125” POB from the hilt

tumblr_nwoztvjqvO1qz9mvno5_540.jpg

tumblr_nwoztvjqvO1qz9mvno4_540.jpg

tumblr_nwoztvjqvO1qz9mvno3_540.jpg

tumblr_nwoztvjqvO1qz9mvno1_540.jpg

tumblr_nwoztvjqvO1qz9mvno2_540.jpg

tumblr_nwoztvjqvO1qz9mvno6_540.jpg

If you check out the build thread here you will see where this went from being a 21" blade seax to a 15" blade seax.

Edited by Josh A Weston
  • Like 3

That is awesome! So many little details, I really like the opposite grain in the wood visually creating a center point on the middle antler carving. Then the blade is incredible as well! May not be as long as intended but it doesn't appear to be missing anything. Would never guess it started out longer until told.

• Like 1

Awesome.

• Like 1

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

Dude, that is one serious accomplishment (or several really). Damn fine work.

kc

• Like 1

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

this is just perfect!

-Gabriel

The fundamental cause of trouble is that the stupid are cocksure, while the intelligent are full of doubt. -Bertrand Russell, philosopher
follow me on Instagram @raggedravenforge

Amazing work! I'm just gonna say that I feel like we may be getting a new firey beard some time soon haha. Beautiful blade and handle, wish I could make handles half as good.

• Like 1

"Behold, I have created the smith who blows the fire of coals and produces a weapon for its purpose. I have also created the ravager to destroy;"-Isaiah 54:16

What is there to say that hasn't already been said. That's one of the best pieces of work to grace this board in a while.

Doug

• Like 1

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

Yup, yup. I like the way this is going. Since this has the form of a Gotlandic war knife, are you doing a Gotlandic style sheath as weel?

Yes, going to try to go all out with that. I don't do leather work (I have 4 daughters of various ages so free time is limited) but I will collaborate with Beastman Caravan. I will draw up a plan send the blade to him. Have him make the leather part and then I will do all the metal fittings.

Nice! I love the Gotland influence, the style all comes together very well, and the carving is top notch. On a kind of related note, your work reminds me a lot of Dave DelaGardelle's earlier work, which I also like!

Yes, going to try to go all out with that. I don't do leather work (I have 4 daughters of various ages so free time is limited) but I will collaborate with Beastman Caravan. I will draw up a plan send the blade to him. Have him make the leather part and then I will do all the metal fittings.

That's funny, I've got four brothers, ranging from ages 17 years old to six months old, me being the second born at 15 years old haha My parents never get a break either! Excited to see the sheath, sounds like it's going to be awesome!

“If you trust in yourself. . . believe in your dreams. . . and follow your star. . . you will still get beaten by the people who have spent their time working hard and learning things, the people who weren't so lazy.” ~ Terry Pratchett

Epic work man!

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook

I finally got a chance to see this on a bigger screen, and I am very happy to see what you have made!

The carving is clean, and well planned (as always) and the pattern is beautiful yet understated. The fuller is also a great touch, and it seems like it would feel great in the hand according to the stats you shared, great job! :D

• Like 1

I'm in awe! Especially for the handle. Maybe I admire it so much because I cannot do such a masterpiece by myself. It's perfectly proportioned and precisely carved. I bet it takes more labour than just making the blade.

• Like 1

lipinskimetalart.blogspot.com