Each day set forth to fly;
For Hugin I fear lest he come not home,
But for Munin my care is more.”

Above excerpt from the Poetic Edda poem Grímnismál

Fast and light it swings
Like Huginn’s feathered wings.
Quick and brute the seax
Like Muninn’s angry beak.

15″ Blade (wrought iron, 1084, 15n20, 80crv2)
5/5” Handle (wrought iron, elk antler, teak)
20.5” Overall
1.2 Pounds
2.125” POB from the hilt

tumblr_nwoztvjqvO1qz9mvno5_540.jpg

tumblr_nwoztvjqvO1qz9mvno4_540.jpg

tumblr_nwoztvjqvO1qz9mvno3_540.jpg

tumblr_nwoztvjqvO1qz9mvno1_540.jpg

tumblr_nwoztvjqvO1qz9mvno2_540.jpg

tumblr_nwoztvjqvO1qz9mvno6_540.jpg

If you check out the build thread here you will see where this went from being a 21" blade seax to a 15" blade seax.

Edited by Josh A Weston
  • Like 3

That is awesome! So many little details, I really like the opposite grain in the wood visually creating a center point on the middle antler carving. Then the blade is incredible as well! May not be as long as intended but it doesn't appear to be missing anything. Would never guess it started out longer until told.

• Like 1

Very impressive!!! excellent work.

I really like the wood and antler combined. Very stunning with the carving.

• Like 1

Damn Josh, that is seriously good. Everything about it is nice.

• Like 1

Dude, that is one serious accomplishment (or several really). Damn fine work.

kc

• Like 1

Yup, yup. I like the way this is going. Since this has the form of a Gotlandic war knife, are you doing a Gotlandic style sheath as weel?

this is just perfect!

-Gabriel

Amazing work! I'm just gonna say that I feel like we may be getting a new firey beard some time soon haha. Beautiful blade and handle, wish I could make handles half as good.

• Like 1

What is there to say that hasn't already been said. That's one of the best pieces of work to grace this board in a while.

Doug

• Like 1

Yup, yup. I like the way this is going. Since this has the form of a Gotlandic war knife, are you doing a Gotlandic style sheath as weel?

Yes, going to try to go all out with that. I don't do leather work (I have 4 daughters of various ages so free time is limited) but I will collaborate with Beastman Caravan. I will draw up a plan send the blade to him. Have him make the leather part and then I will do all the metal fittings.

Nice! I love the Gotland influence, the style all comes together very well, and the carving is top notch. On a kind of related note, your work reminds me a lot of Dave DelaGardelle's earlier work, which I also like!

Yes, going to try to go all out with that. I don't do leather work (I have 4 daughters of various ages so free time is limited) but I will collaborate with Beastman Caravan. I will draw up a plan send the blade to him. Have him make the leather part and then I will do all the metal fittings.

That's funny, I've got four brothers, ranging from ages 17 years old to six months old, me being the second born at 15 years old haha My parents never get a break either! Excited to see the sheath, sounds like it's going to be awesome!

I finally got a chance to see this on a bigger screen, and I am very happy to see what you have made!

The carving is clean, and well planned (as always) and the pattern is beautiful yet understated. The fuller is also a great touch, and it seems like it would feel great in the hand according to the stats you shared, great job! :D

• Like 1

I'm in awe! Especially for the handle. Maybe I admire it so much because I cannot do such a masterpiece by myself. It's perfectly proportioned and precisely carved. I bet it takes more labour than just making the blade.

• Like 1