High Carbon or Case Hardened

I have several requests for farrier rasp chefs knives…..I forgot how to tell if there case hardened or good to go high carbon steel.

Thanks for any advice.

Cut off a piece from the end and heat it up to non-magnetic and soak for about a minute then plunge in water. If it shatters then it's high carbon. If it doesn't shatter place it on an anvil and strike it with a hammer. If it shatters then it's high carbon. If it doesn't then I would expect that it was case hardened and doesn't have enough carbon in it to harden to any degree.

Doug

Cut off a piece from the end and heat it up to non-magnetic and soak for about a minute then plunge in water. If it shatters then it's high carbon. If it doesn't shatter place it on an anvil and strike it with a hammer. If it shatters then it's high carbon. If it doesn't then I would expect that it was case hardened and doesn't have enough carbon in it to harden to any degree.

Doug

Thanks,Doug

Etching would tell you whether it was case hardened or not.

Good point! Grind a clean spot, polish, and etch. A case will show up. Might have to use nital, but ferric may work.