Sign in to follow this  
S. Burton

Older stuff

I'm pretty new and the few comments i've gotten so far on the things i've posted are very respectable, no crap from people nay saying things just constructive feedback so i figured i'd share some of my older stuff try to make a few friends and stay a while, i been doing this for 15ish years i started learning from my great grandpa when i was around 11 he passed away and i took it upon myself to try to finish learning.

23648_108147645892827_8353163_n.jpg

24398_104055962968662_908953_n.jpg

24398_104055979635327_4008515_n.jpg

24398_104057089635216_4347093_n.jpg

24398_104057092968549_1005559_n.jpg

24398_104057096301882_7895553_n.jpg

24398_104061366301455_6702992_n.jpg

24398_104061369634788_4124080_n.jpg

12009717_10205075814160273_7227907404954912261_n.jpg

11990461_10205090758613875_878096000092804289_n.jpg

12022564_10207495647339683_6868709713142777989_o.jpg

12047607_10205160009745110_2039707100_n.jpg

12031623_10207495648859721_388246608309009742_o.jpg

Welcome,

you will find this group to be very encouraging and you will get feedback consistent with the amount of effort you put in to grow and learn. Most of the people here are fantastically talented, although many would never admit it. I am not one of those. Trying, but not there yet. I only do this part-time, and therefore my learning curve is slower than many, and I have 7 or so years at it.

The folks here, in my opinion, have been great to new people. Just make sure you are humble and listen to what they say. If you are like me, you will try to find shortcuts that others missed, and then eventually realized they all tried those things, too. I have come around to pretty much just doing what the more experienced people tell me, and thanking them for their time.

One thing that one of the people here told me several years ago that has come to mean a lot to me, "The difference between dilettantes and real players in bladesmithing often comes down to FINISH." He really meant fit and finish, but the fit part was taken for granted. As much as well all try to fight it, the quality of finish work (surface prep, accents and carving, adornment, etc.), that makes a huge difference. I am, like many, learning some basic carving and engraving because of this.

Glad you shared. The RR spike with the cord wrap is cool. The recurved chopper is my favorite of the bunch (how did you put the patina on it?). I don't know much about mail. The twisted piece looks like it is still stock, ready to be welded or finish forged. I can't tell, maybe I am just not seeing it right.

welcome. Thanks for sharing. It takes courage to post stuff among this group, especially in the beginning. One of the best things here is watching everyone grow and evolve (my first attempts were almost award-winningly ugly, but I was serious about wanting to learn, and people here have been good about teaching me and walking me along. Sometimes I wish I could run and fly, but I am still really just walking. Without the people from this forum, I would have not come a third as far as I have, though). All that is to say, you chose a good group. If you are good at receiving genuine feedback, I promise you will get plenty of it here. And, these guys will like and respect you for your efforts (even the ones that are, "developmental," rather than polished).

Edited by Kevin (The Professor)
  • Like 1

Welcome,

you will find this group to be very encouraging and you will get feedback consistent with the amount of effort you put in to grow and learn. Most of the people here are fantastically talented, although many would never admit it. I am not one of those. Trying, but not there yet. I only do this part-time, and therefore my learning curve is slower than many, and I have 7 or so years at it.

The folks here, in my opinion, have been great to new people. Just make sure you are humble and listen to what they say. If you are like me, you will try to find shortcuts that others missed, and then eventually realized they all tried those things, too. I have come around to pretty much just doing what the more experienced people tell me, and thanking them for their time.

One thing that one of the people here told me several years ago that has come to mean a lot to me, "The difference between dilettantes and real players in bladesmithing often comes down to FINISH." He really meant fit and finish, but the fit part was taken for granted. As much as well all try to fight it, the quality of finish work (surface prep, accents and carving, adornment, etc.), that makes a huge difference. I am, like many, learning some basic carving and engraving because of this.

Glad you shared. The RR spike with the cord wrap is cool. The recurved chopper is my favorite of the bunch (how did you put the patina on it?). I don't know much about mail. The twisted piece looks like it is still stock, ready to be welded or finish forged. I can't tell, maybe I am just not seeing it right.

welcome. Thanks for sharing. It takes courage to post stuff among this group, especially in the beginning. One of the best things here is watching everyone grow and evolve (my first attempts were almost award-winningly ugly, but I was serious about wanting to learn, and people here have been good about teaching me and walking me along. Sometimes I wish I could run and fly, but I am still really just walking. Without the people from this forum, I would have not come a third as far as I have, though). All that is to say, you chose a good group. If you are good at receiving genuine feedback, I promise you will get plenty of it here. And, these guys will like and respect you for your efforts (even the ones that are, "developmental," rather than polished).

Well the patina on the recuved blade i got through something i figured out through sheer luck and being impatient, a while back i decided to try my first go a pattern welded blade (not shown here because I'm collaberating with a close friend who's doing some stuff to the handle for me)

after forging the blade i had a few deep pits i assume i got as a result of forge welding with no set heat in a coal forge, i decided to coat the blade in paint so the pits would fill in and i could just sand it untill i stopped seeing paint and i would know that the pits were out so i went to the workshop and i was out of paint. oh no! i thought, then i recalled something from the house i smelled earlier that day.... the girlfriend fingernail polish. i believe it was an enamel based paint. so i coated the blade and got to sanding. and i got all but a small speck of the pit out which was still the metallic green of the fingernail polish.

so this is when i sought out how to etch the blade, I tried lemon juice, i got nothing. then i tried vinegar, i got nothing. so i sprung to the internet thinking i would never see what my pattern would look like. and i ran across a youtube video that instucted me on turning murratic acid into ferric acid, i did the deed made the acid and gave the blade a nice long soak.

the first think i noticed after pulling the blade out was a tiny little spec of green. which sparked an idea in my head. if the acid doesn't eat the fingernail polish then why don't i see what happens if i apply it to different types of steel and etch it. this is what i did to achieve that patina, the blade is stainless steel, it was one a friend of mine asked me to make a little more lively to be honest. i painted multiple tiny blobs on the blade that didn't quite touch so that the acid would create a "spiderweb" pattern. i also hid my buddies initals in the pattern Towards the center of the tip if you look close you can see MJH.

its a simple process with a great outcome, i find it works best on stainless or very clean survices void of all oxidation, i also found that some fingernail polishes will bubble off and some will not, im still trying to decipher what causes this but, yes fingernail polish and acid. i hope i've contributed something on that

the twisted piece that looks unfinished was a lag bolt it was just something i was tinkering with and i ended up enlaying brass down the groove but i lack a finished picture.

and yes the spike knife handle was left stock square, and yes i disagree with it as well ( im a fan of the twist and a slight crook) but it was the way it was requested. to be honest i still hate that handle.

feedback is always welcome i am a firm believe that you can always do better, no one knows everything and everyone has something to teach you. much appreciated for the questions. if you get anymore for me feel free to ask and if their is anything to point out that i haven't learned or your unsure i Have the know how of, then your information will never be met with ill regard that.