Suggested RPMS for belt grit

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if there is a suggested RPM based on the grit of a sanding belt. I was taught by a maker who had a single speed grinder and needless to say he had one speed for every belt he used during initial hogging out and finish work. I have read many times that makers will slow down the speeds of their grinders when switching belt grit. What I have gathered from my readings is that the higher the grit the lower the speed. Is this true? Is this based on the grits ability or the control of the grinding by the maker? Any help would be appreciated.

Frank

I change speed depending on attachment used and the function of grinding. I run my small wheels at lower speeds. Hog steel with a 36 at a higher speed. Polish with a felt belt at a lower speed. Use a cork belt at a medium speed.

It varies by what is the desired results.

I don't have very many hours logged grinding yet so I use the speed control as a way to reduce the chances of a mistake. For an easy section where I have the body mechanics down, I crank it up to full speed and let the metal fly. For the parts where my skill is really lacking I'll turn it down very slow and take my time. I run it so slow at times that with certain belts I can see the individual shavings of metal falling to the water bucket.

I have a three-speed grinder (step pulleys) that runds at 3300 fpm, 1650 fpm, and 825 fpm. I hog with high speed and large grit, and do any post-HT grinding on medium speed. Low is for wood and really fine work.

In general, though, belt speed depends greatly on abrasive type, not size. Ceramic grit belts are made to run at high speed (up to 7500 fpm) and heavy pressure. If you don't do that to them they get dull fast. Aluminum Oxide is the opposite. Trizacts don't really care how fast or slow you run 'em as long as they stay dry. Check with your belt supplier, they can recommend speeds for specific belts.