Smashing a Kera, Looking for Images

Jan, I tried to upload a really short (1.5 Mb) mp4 file but I get an error that says "You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file."

It is a really short video, about 3 seconds long but it is all I have. I could email it to you if you give your email address privately.

• 4 months later...

The other day I dropped a furnace,during the latter part of a high carbon run . The furnace was sitting on a small stack of bricks ( tripod ) and while poking the air inlet my rod got stuck and I jerked the furnace off of it's delicate stand. I scrambled to find the bloom and quickly quenched it in a bucket of water at a very light yellow color. This bloom broke very easily with a small hammer , there must have been a puddle of iron on the top as I found that material away from the bloom. It may be to my advantage to pull/quench a high carbon bloom or to quench it in the furnace. I will add some pics if I have them.

Jan

Edited by Jan Ysselstein

Jan

At one point my quest in to this subject I found some old paintings and drawings about Tatara operation and how Kera was

treated after furnace was taken down.

They illustrated idea of group of smelters draging large Kera in to river or stream of water...just made for this.

Also I have visited old smelting sites and quite near from those ruins there was slope made of stone and noro...entering to small river.

Even large glowing mass of steel can be quench in moving water as it´s really effective.

I have used this method successfully from 2002 as I started...time flyes...damn.

-N-

Thanks Niko,

It is good to see you posting again. I am going to try to repeat that, by pouring water ( carefully) into my furnace on the next run. The last run was problematic as I think I got carried away with too much sand into a very hot furnace.....this combination (ore and sand) creates a very fluid slag high in the furnace.( at high temp) ..bad idea.

I have two open threads here I am going to get back to,one on wootz the other on hamon. I should have enough material on hand to do a thorough investigation into the unknown ( unknown to me that is).

Jan

Edited by Jan Ysselstein

Hi Jan.

Im not sure about that method your using.

Personally I would not pour water even carefully in my hot reusable furnace...or even single use one.

I have seen what happens when water stight away turns to steam....Not pretty....stuff starts to fly and fast.

Water whit hot charcoal reacts exsotemic...I use this from my Sage prosses.

Also too fast coolign will ruin furnace quite fast...at least hitemp castable ones.

Anyway...If it works Ok. Its good to have different methods and stick to one that works.

Maby you could trun furnace some how 180 and get that bloom out this way...and then in to water...LOTS of water.

Ones I thought this too, but then I made that 3 piece tatara and stop hassling aroung.

Looking frwd to see more of your steel, nice work :)

N

Thanks Niko,

I will be careful , the next smelt is at a demo with lots of novices around ( your advice is well taken). I think I will just dump the contents into a metal shallow pan and then spray it with water.

Jan