Aha! A lurker! (Intro and small pic dump)

I hope this is an appropriate place to put this...

Hi, my name is Matthew, I'm 20 and live in Michigan. I became interested in bladesmithing a few years ago when returning home from a Civil Air Patrol event up in Alpena called Encampment and spent a few days with family at a relative's cabin, where a certain cousin of mine had built a crude forge using cinder blocks, fueled it with hardwood, and told me about Mad Dwarf Workshop while we screwed around heating junk up and then beat on it with a tiny hammer over a big rock (didn't get very far there).

I went on to discover this wonderful site and its immense wealth of information and

I've been lurking since, and now have finally worked up the guts to introduce myself and show a few things I've made.

I currently travel around the Midwest, Northeast, and (rarely) the Southern regions of the US as part of a small crew installing electronic locks at hotels and the like.

Aside from smithing, I dabble in a handful of other hobbies as the weather and amount of time between jobs permits (armoring, nalbinding, glass/flintknapping, tanning, etc.) -and while I can't say that I'm good or excellent at any of them (or sometimes even successful), I've found there's always an exciting kick that comes with creating something with purpose with one's own hands.

Here are some pics relating to my other hobbies. I apologize if the pic quality isn't great; the only camera that I currently have is the one on my phone.

2015-10-09 03.08.00 1.jpg

loz_goddess_spaulder_by_themattchu-d8k97si.jpg

legend_of_zelda_goddess_spaulder_by_themattchu-d8k92w0.jpg

2015-10-08 01.41.40 1.jpg

This is my first knife shaped object. Too dull to be functional, with the exception of cutting butter or maybe a wheel of cheese

2015-11-14 07.29.51 1.jpg

First "real" knife. I made it some weeks ago for myself for use at work; for this reason along with being pressed for time since a job was coming up, I was fine with not trying to make it look pretty.

IMAG0008.jpg

And this is the previous knife's sibling, made about two weeks later upon request by a friend.

2015-10-09 03.11.34 1.jpg

2015-10-09 03.14.17 1.jpg

Finally, my current endeavor. Hopefully it will be a dagger when completed.

2015-11-14 07.34.02 1.jpg

Thanks for looking, and making a great forum!

As someone with the same amount of interests/Hobbies I canrelate to the "master of none" feeling you describe. But since we are the jack of all trades I look forward to the moment we can combine the single things we have learned to become a great good picture. And you are very good on your way! I like the things you showed here. Keep going with it :)

• Like 2

Looks awesome! Your work shows all of the tell tale signs of great potential. Keep it up!

• Like 1

“If you trust in yourself. . . believe in your dreams. . . and follow your star. . . you will still get beaten by the people who have spent their time working hard and learning things, the people who weren't so lazy.” ~ Terry Pratchett

you've got some great skill in bladesmithing and amazing skill in armor smithing, love the Zelda inspired spaulders! have you considered selling them? Not to me because currently i am without income but on etsy or something, someone would love to have quite a bit of your work, specifically the spaulders.

• Like 1

"Behold, I have created the smith who blows the fire of coals and produces a weapon for its purpose. I have also created the ravager to destroy;"-Isaiah 54:16

Thanks for the replies, tips, and feedback; it really means a lot!

As far as bladesmiths, and smiths in general in Michigan, I know there's got to be some down here in the lower peninsula (I'm about an hours drive out NE of Detroit), but right now I can only remember that there are some bladesmiths in the UP. I've been wanting to get involved in the Michigan Artist Blacksmith Association and go to a hammer-in or event to meet some people & learn what I can, but I haven't been to any just yet. I figure it's all just a matter of getting connected.

The Legend of Zelda spaulder may have been a bit misleading since there are two pics of it (sorry about that). Unfortunatley it's only one shoulder. The reason for the second picture is just to get a slightly different angle that revealed some of the script along the edge of the shoulder, which says "Nayru Din Farore" in twilight princess Hylian. I haven't thought about selling that specific spaulder since it was made out of stainless bbq grill scrap from an area that was thin enough to be cut by hand with snips, which is probably a bit thin for spaulder material, let alone that there's a little secret crack in the armor (shh! Don't tell!). But anyway, making something good enough quality to be sold with a measure of confidence, and then selling it is pretty much the ultimate goal.

I have sold a knapped glass arrowhead pendant on etsy before, but that's it.

Edited by Matt Stahl

tim zowada and Kevin Cashen are in Michigan, too. They are outstanding, and nice fellows. Deep, though, when it comes to metallurgy.

Welcome. You have some talent. Keep at it, and let us watch!

kc

• Like 1

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs