Simple stainless paring knife

I had half a dozen stainless kitchen blades just about ready for heat treat - then had a heart attack in September. I've been getting back in the shop lately: My heat treating of the AEB-L blades was a mess - lost 1/2 the knives to warping & breakage during straightening attempts. Here's the first finished blade - rather basic for folks on this forum - handle has materials and glue that I've tested as dishwasher tolerant. Simple but nice:

20151115_ParingBack800.jpg

Simple, yet elegant Michael. It looks like it would be very comfortable in the hand. Congratulations on a fairly swift recovery. Glad you are back in the saddle again.

Simple but nice indeed! I like it quite a bit.

Sorry to hear about the heart attack, but glad you're back. How were you quenching the AEB-L? For stuff that thin I'd think aluminum quench plates would be enough, and that would eliminate the warpage issues.

Some stainless is air-hardenable. If you "quench" by pressing between thick aluminum plates you get hardening with minimal warping since the steel can't move.

I do something similar with small knives or folders and two pieces of copper bar (1"x3/8"x12") that I have in one of my vice's jaws. Quench (or finish the quench) between the bars as you tighten the vice. I will also use this set up to "finish" the quench on larger knives' spines. Come out of the oil after about 5-8 seconds and press between the copper bar/vice jaws. The copper wicks the heat away very quickly and minimizes warping.

Edited by Joshua States