Steve Nowacki

1750's Style Foliding Knife

Hi Guys

I did this folder a little while back now, but thought I would post some pic's of it while I had a spare few minutes.
The blade and external back spring are forged from a leaf spring, blade length is 100mm and is 3mm thick on the spine. The handle is a Sambar stag antler tine, open length is 240mm, closed is 140mm. The steel saddle has planished sides, a plum brown finish and is topped off with a brass rose. The brass butt cap is held in place by a central gun blued steel screw and has 4 x 1.6mm gun blued steel pins set around it's circumference.
Thanks for looking gents.

All comments and discussion welcome.

Regards

Steve

DSCF2490.JPG

DSCF2492.JPG

DSCF2494.JPG

DSCF2497.JPG

DSCF2498.JPG

DSCF2509.JPG

DSCF2491.JPG

DSCF2499.JPG

Edited by Steve Nowacki
  • Like 1

Let me be the first to say damn, that's nice- I love everything about it.

Top drawer! I love it. Excellent work.

Lovely period piece. Great attention to detail. Really like this one.

Not that familiar with folders of the period, so please bear with me on this, but wouldn't the addition of a 90 deg. bend at the end of your retention spring with a matching slot in the blade work as a locking mechanism?

Just....wow! I think that's my favorite folder I've seen! Looks like a great pairing with your o-1 bowie. Would a pic of the two be a bother?

Great job.

I second that as well. I am awed and inspired.

Gary T

I'd love to post some pictures of both knives together, but unfortunately the folder went to it's owner back in June guys and the Bowie will be with her new owner some time next week.

The method of locking the blade is definately worth looking at Dan and not a method I have thought about. I have seen older folding knives that have a spigot filed on the top edge of the blade in the area of the pivot pin. There is a corresponding hole drilled in the back spring and when the blade is opened the spigot locates in the hole. You then use the finger ring to pull the spring back so you can then close the knife. I had thought about trying that but have just left the blades clean for the time being.

This version works completely by friction. This is maintained by the tension on the riveted pivot pin and the fact that the back of the blade is constantly in contact with the back spring. As the blade is rotated open or closed it is always moving against the back spring. The spring has a thin groove ground into it's underside to stop the blade wavering as it's moved. I really fell in love with this type of folder and I have to say that if I hadn't been able to buy a copy of Antler and Iron II, by Gene Chapman I would never have started making these knives. That really is a little gem of a book.

I have a couple more that I have to start and when they're finished I'll post some more pi'c's.

As always gents, thanks for looking and thank you for your comments.

Cheers

Steve

Well done. Best folder I have ever seen.

Absolutely great work Steve!

A most excellent piece with the workmanship, I do like it!!! I do have to admire the quality of the work you put into the piece!

That is a kick ass folder! And I don't even like folders (well, a few, but not many). Awesome work!

Cheers Wes, much appreciated.

Great Job Steve!

I can't tell you how much I like that knife. It looks so good.

Do the side pins on the saddle go all the way thru to the grove that the knife blade folds into?

Thanks,

Doug

JN, 3:16

Almost Doug, I make the domed pins and leave green on the shank that will go into the side of the antler. I then dry fit the back spring which already has the saddle riveted in place. I mark the side pins remove them and then trim so they sit slightly under flush, that way they are not going to interupt the blade as it's opened and closed.

that is a fine knife! love the mechanism. The gun in the background is intriguing, too!

Thanks for that Kevin. The rifle in the background is a Kentucky long rifle that my brother built from a kit that he purchased from Track of the Wolf. I think he made a really good job seeing as he'd never attemted anything like that before. I thought that it would make a good back drop for the pic's of the knife.

Once in a while, I get asked if I make folding knives. I haven't attempted any except for some straight razors (if they even classify). I have been wanting to design a folder that is based from the colonial period up to the Victorian age, but I haven't been able to find a good design, until now. I want to sincerely thank you. In my opinion, what you have created here is nothing less than simply stunning and is also exactly what I have been looking for design-wise. Now that I have a very good design to go from, with a few design tweaks, I should be starting my own version with the hopes of maybe turning out a few of them. Thank you Steve, for the inspiration.

• Like 1

Very Nice!

amazing piece!i just love it!

R W thank you for your comments, it's really gratifying to see this thread still get views and receive such positive feed back. I'm sure I've said before that I have to pay respects to Gene Chapman and his book Antler and Iron II. If he hadn't written that book I would never have started to make this style of folding knife, his book was my inspiration. The book is a little gem. It's just a pity that it's no longer in print.

Thanks again.

All the best

Steve